Need help articulating an idea in rigorous language

In summary, the author is trying to create a bijection between two sets, one infinite and the other finite, but standard set theory doesn't allow for this. He has abandoned certain conventions in order to do this, and he has a background in math.
Mecha Miles
So I'm working on a personal project, and I have most of the details worked out, but I'm having difficulty expressing an idea in precise terms.

Premise:

We start with a set which has only itself as an element, which results in the following infinite regress:

{{{...}}}

Now what I would like to do is create a bijection between this infinite regress and some general singleton set.

For example: Say we have a set, call it S, such that S={1}. Now I want to create a bijection between S and the set above such that the resulting set is {...1,1,1,1...}.

How can I express this relationship in rigorous terms -with notation common to set theory.

Any thoughts from the community would be very appreciated.

Shalom

Physics news on Phys.org
Standard Zermelo-Fraenkel set theory has an axiom that precludes sets that contain themselves and/or any type of infinite regress. It's called the Axiom of Regularity.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Axiom_of_regularity

So, since you can't do what you want in standard set theory, you'd have to decide what version of set theory you're using.

On the other hand it may be that you're trying to model some situation that standard math can handle with the ideas of sequences or recursion. For example you can define one thing, then define the second thing in terms of the first; the third in terms of the second; and so forth.

If you say what you're trying to do, people can suggest a mathematical model. But an infinite regress inside a set can't be done in standard math.

Also, the Axiom of Extension says that a set is characterized purely by its elements. So if you had a set {..., 1,1,1,...}, that set is exactly the same set as {1}.

On the other hand, we do have models of structures that are discrete and extend infinitely in each direction. For example the integers ..., -3, -2, -1, 0, 1, 2, 3, ... seems to have the structure you're looking for. But of course you can't biject a singleton to an infinite set.

Sorry, I should have stated that in my project I have abandoned certain conventions. Just so there is no confusion for anyone else, I do have an extensive background in math...including a degree, so there is no need to reinvent the wheel, so to speak, in any explanation; I just need the language on strictly hypothetical basis. Thanks

1. What does it mean to articulate an idea in rigorous language?

Articulating an idea in rigorous language means clearly and precisely explaining a concept or thought using accurate and specific terminology. It involves using precise language that leaves no room for ambiguity or misinterpretation.

2. Why is it important to articulate ideas in rigorous language?

Articulating ideas in rigorous language is important because it ensures that your message is accurately conveyed and understood by others. It also demonstrates a high level of critical thinking and attention to detail, which can enhance the credibility of your ideas.

3. How can one improve their ability to articulate ideas in rigorous language?

Improving the ability to articulate ideas in rigorous language takes practice and effort. One way to improve is to read and study texts written by experts in a particular field, paying close attention to the language and terminology used. Additionally, actively seeking feedback from others and practicing explaining complex ideas can help refine this skill.

4. What are some common pitfalls to avoid when articulating ideas in rigorous language?

Some common pitfalls to avoid when articulating ideas in rigorous language include using vague or imprecise language, making assumptions about the reader's level of understanding, and using overly complicated language or jargon. It is important to be mindful of your audience and to use clear and concise language to effectively communicate your ideas.

5. Are there any specific techniques or strategies for articulating ideas in rigorous language?

Yes, there are several techniques and strategies that can help with articulating ideas in rigorous language. These include breaking down complex ideas into smaller, more manageable parts, defining key terms and concepts, and using examples or analogies to illustrate your points. It can also be helpful to constantly revise and refine your language to ensure it accurately reflects your ideas.