Need help converting values regarding Jupiter's mass, and moons.

In summary, the individual is trying to convert data points from Jupiter's moon into years, astronomical units (AU), and kilometers. However, the question is not clear as it is missing important information such as the unit of measurement for the "height of the peaks above zero". They also mention a conversion factor for JD to kilometers and are unsure which "year" to use for the conversion.
nukeman
Here is my problem. I have charted out the data points of one of Jupiter's moons, and have concluded for this example, a value of: P(in days) of 7, and a (height of the peaks above zero) of 4

Now, here is what I am having trouble doing:

"Convert P and a to years and AU. Then, convert a to KM"

Can anyone help me with this?

I know that one J.D = 0.00096 = 142,984 km

?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Anyone? :)

Thanks

nukeman said:
Here is my problem. I have charted out the data points of one of Jupiter's moons, and have concluded for this example, a value of: P(in days) of 7, and a (height of the peaks above zero) of 4

Now, here is what I am having trouble doing:

"Convert P and a to years and AU. Then, convert a to KM"

Can anyone help me with this?

I know that one J.D = 0.00096 = 142,984 km

?

nukeman said:
Anyone? :)

Thanks

Strange question. Convert to years and AU, then to km. Why? You already have it in JD. So multiply by that conversion factor you've quoted to get km. Though diameters are a bit odd, since it's usually in radii as that's what plugs into the equations.

As for conversion to 'years', which year do they mean? A standard Julian year is 365.25 days, but there's several other years that get used to, such as the Gaussian.

An AU is presently defined as 149,597,870.7 km. You'll see 149,597,870.691 km get quoted, but that's a bit too precise for the error bars. Hopefully someone has seen fit to tell you what AU value to use.

Your question is not very clear... What does 'height of the peaks above zero' mean? What is the '4' ? Inches, miles, lightyears, cubits? JD=jupiter's diameter? Is the orbital radius of this moon 4 * JD ?

Sure, I can help you with this! To convert P to years, we need to use the formula P(yrs) = P(days)/365.25, since there are 365.25 days in a year (accounting for leap years). So in this case, P(yrs) = 7/365.25 = 0.01914 years.

To convert a to AU (astronomical units), we need to use the formula a(AU) = a(KM)/149,597,871, which is the distance between the Earth and the Sun in kilometers. So, in this case, a(AU) = 4/149,597,871 = 2.674e-8 AU.

Finally, to convert a to kilometers, we can simply use the conversion factor you provided: 142,984 km per J.D. So, a(KM) = a(J.D.) * 142,984 = 4 * 142,984 = 571,936 km.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any further questions.

1. What is the mass of Jupiter?

The mass of Jupiter is approximately 1.898 × 10^27 kilograms.

2. How does Jupiter's mass compare to other planets?

Jupiter's mass is the largest among all the planets in our solar system, making up about 2.5 times the combined mass of all the other planets.

3. How does the mass of Jupiter affect its moons?

Jupiter's large mass creates a strong gravitational force which affects the orbits and movements of its moons. Some of Jupiter's moons even have unique orbits due to this gravitational pull.

4. Can you convert Jupiter's mass into other units of measurement?

Yes, Jupiter's mass can also be expressed in Earth masses, which is approximately 317.8 Earth masses.

5. How many moons does Jupiter have?

Jupiter has a total of 79 known moons, with the four largest being called the Galilean moons: Io, Europa, Ganymede, and Callisto.