Need help deciding between physics and engineering

In summary, the speaker is seeking help in finding a suitable career path. They have a strong interest in physics and have already learned the basics of quantum, relativity, and O and A levels. However, they are also interested in innovation and mechatronics, as well as design engineering. They are unsure of which path to pursue and are seeking advice from others. The suggestion is made to look at job adverts and gain work experience in a chosen field.
LilPhysics
I'm just in need of serious helps from others.
I'm doing my first year of A level but still don't know what career fits me. I love physics, or die for it to the point I learned mostly the basics understanding of quantum,relativity and the chapters of O and A levels 4 years ago from now but one cannot play a game without a goal. But I've always wanted to innovate and mechatronic interested me the most but I also like studying design and now I see design engineer. I'm puzzled please help me elders

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I suggest you look at job adverts aimed at graduates. If you find something that looks interesting try and get work experience in that area this summer.

Likes LilPhysics and CalcNerd
Thanks, More please

Question 1: What is the main difference between physics and engineering?

Physics is a natural science that focuses on understanding the fundamental principles and laws that govern our universe. Engineering, on the other hand, is a applied science that uses principles from physics and other sciences to design and create practical solutions to real-world problems.

Question 2: Which field offers more job opportunities, physics or engineering?

Both physics and engineering offer a wide range of job opportunities. However, engineering tends to have more specific and practical applications, which can lead to more job opportunities in various industries such as aerospace, civil engineering, and computer engineering.

Question 3: What skills are necessary for a career in physics or engineering?

Both fields require strong analytical and problem-solving skills, as well as a solid understanding of mathematics and scientific principles. Additionally, engineers need to have strong technical and design skills, while physicists need to have strong research and experimental skills.

Question 4: Is it possible to pursue both physics and engineering at the same time?

It is possible to pursue a career in both physics and engineering, as there are many areas where the two fields overlap. For example, a physicist may specialize in a certain type of engineering, such as materials engineering or electrical engineering.

Question 5: Which field is more suitable for someone interested in research and discovery?

If you are interested in research and discovery, a career in physics may be more suitable. Physics is a highly theoretical and experimental field that focuses on understanding the fundamental laws of nature and discovering new phenomena. However, engineering also involves research and development in order to create innovative solutions to real-world problems.