Need HELP equation of motion with variable acceleration

In summary, the conversation is about solving for x as a function of time for a particle dropped into a tank of oil, where the acceleration of the particle is given by a = g - kv. The solution involves a second order differential equation, but one user suggests viewing it as a first order equation to solve for velocity. The other user asks for clarification on what the first user has tried so far.
Behroz

Homework Statement

A particle is dropped from rest, at the surface, into a tank containing oil
The acceleration of the particle in the oil is a = g – kv
where g is the gravitational acceleration and –kv being denoted by
the resistance put on the particle by the oil.
Solve for x as a function of time!

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm attaching an image file containing my calculations.
As can be seen I get a differential equation of the second order
but as I proceed to solve this equation and try to determine the
constants the whole thing turns into ZERO?!? What am I doing wrong??

Attachments

• en.jpg
    en.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 498
Physics news on Phys.org
You don't need to consider this as a 2. order diff. equation. You can view the equation as

[tex] \ddot{x} = g - k\dot{x} [/tex]
or
[tex] \dot{v} = g - kv [/tex]

The second equation is just a 1. order diff. equation with respect to the velocity v.

P3X-018 said:
You don't need to consider this as a 2. order diff. equation. You can view the equation as

[tex] \ddot{x} = g - k\dot{x} [/tex]
or
[tex] \dot{v} = g - kv [/tex]

The second equation is just a 1. order diff. equation with respect to the velocity v.

Yeah, you're right.. but one SHOULD be able solve it by puting it up as a second order right? I just want to know what I'm doing wrong, it really bugs me.

what have you got? Kind of hard to know what's wrong when we just have a generic list of eqns...
John S

1. What is the equation of motion with variable acceleration?

The equation of motion with variable acceleration is given by s = ut + 1/2at^2, where s is the displacement, u is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration, and t is the time.

2. How is variable acceleration different from constant acceleration?

Variable acceleration means that the acceleration is changing over time, while constant acceleration means that the acceleration remains the same throughout the motion.

3. How do I calculate the displacement using the equation of motion with variable acceleration?

To calculate the displacement, you will need the initial velocity, acceleration, and time. Plug those values into the equation s = ut + 1/2at^2 and solve for s.

4. Is the equation of motion with variable acceleration only applicable to linear motion?

No, the equation of motion with variable acceleration can also be used for non-linear motion, as long as the acceleration is changing over time.

5. Can I use the equation of motion with variable acceleration to find the final velocity?

Yes, you can use the equation v = u + at to find the final velocity, where v is the final velocity, u is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration, and t is the time.