1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need help for a statistical tool for my test

1. Dec 16, 2008 #1
    Hi!

I am a software programmer and I would like to make a performance analysis of my software. One of the objectives that we need to achieve is to create a module for accurately computing the payment. Now, my expected result is that all computations are accurate. What statistical tool should I use to support my observations. I am confused in using a chi-square test for this. The expected outcomes are either Accurate or Not Accurate. Since I assume that my computations are accurate, the frequency that I set for accurate is 10 and 0 for not accurate in the case of 10 trials. I hope someone can help me on this one.

Thank you!

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 16, 2008 #2
    So you have a binomial distribution?

4. Dec 16, 2008 #3

CRGreathouse

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What information do you have? How do you tell if a calculation was accurate or not?

5. Dec 16, 2008 #4
    Well, to test if it is accurate, I first compute it manually (without the system) then I compare the computed value of the system and if it matches my manual computation I consider it accurate. By the way I would like to know what statistical test should I use if I want to determine if a module is working or not. Like I have an objective that I should create a module for generating reports, and I have to make a test that will support that I have achieved my objectives. What test should I use?

Thank you!

6. Dec 26, 2008 #5
    So you have 2 sets of data:

1) calculations from your program
    2) handmade calculations

and you want to check it's accuracy, right?

My thoughts: (i'm not advanced in statistics though):
    1) define what's 'accurate' (5% error?)
    2) If you want to then define 'Confidence interval' and do some basic test or as you have written do some 'Goodness of fit' test (you can support it with p-value test, but it will probably give you the information: 'your hipothesis cannot be rejected' ...)

but let's wait till somebody wiser give you better answer;)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook