1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need help for graduate school choice (CMP)

1. Feb 28, 2010 #1
    I am an international physics PhD applicant, and my intended field is experimental condensed matter, and have interest in nanomaterials and devices, electronic materials and devices, and semiconductors.

I have received two offers from OSU and UFl, and other programs that are still reviewing my application are with rankings ranging from 20+~30+. Since I can only choose one program, I want to withdraw the application for other unnecessary programs as soon as possible.

I especially need information about JHU, PSU, OSU, Brown, Rice, GIT, Purdue, UCI, UCDavis, BU, UVa, UF. I see from those schools' websites that they all have some good faculty in these fields, so I can not make a decision, can anybody give me some advice?

PS: I prefer a school that is both strong in my intended fields and easy for me to find a good job in industry.

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 15, 2010 #2
    I don't know anything about CM-E, but I applied to almost all the same schools as you. What I've found is that all the ones you mention are in the same league, don't stress too much about rankings. Where would you be happiest? Finding a job in industry is not terribly difficult, and all the schools listed here would be fine for doing that. Also, why do you want to withdraw applications? There's not one school that you listed that is "obviously" worse than the others. My advice is wait, see who has the best financial package....also e-mail some current CM-E grad students after you get in, make sure there are professors that you'd like to work with.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook