Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need help from some clever people

1. Oct 9, 2008 #1
    i just fixed up my dads computer and i need to put a new password for his account so all my little brothers don't go accessing it. i want to be a little creative. i want to create a password but only leave him a hint so he has the figure the password out himself. i was thinking i should make the hint something mathematical or something physics related because he is an electrical engineer. but i can't think of anything short yet sophisticated enough so only my dad can figured it out. can anyone help me please! thanks in advance

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 10, 2008 #2
    assign each letter in the alphabet a nr, say from 1 to 26, then create a function that would assign a specific nr. to a letter in alphabet. say [tex] f(x_i)= x_i+2[/tex] where x_i wold be your letter in the alphabet, translated as a nr. For example, you might want your pasword to be :ME. then here it is how you would code it according to that function. The nr associated with M is 13, and wih E=5 so

instead of writting M you would write K, because K=11, so f(K)=K+2=11+2=13=M,
    simmilarly

instead of E write C, because f(C)=C+2=3+2=5=E.

But you can make a more complicated function, or make a function that assigns nr, to letters differently rather than in order.

Have fun with that!

4. Oct 10, 2008 #3
    thats a good one but that would take longer than i like. i need something short but it can only answered by a mathematician, u know what i mean.

5. Oct 10, 2008 #4
    First, that's not long at all. Second i don't know what u really mean, so try to explain what are you specifically looking for...lol...

6. Oct 10, 2008 #5
    "To convert a function from the time domain to the frequency domain, one must do a ______ transform."

The answer would be "Fourier."

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?