Need help getting the calibration curve of diffractometer

In summary, the conversation discusses obtaining an XRD pattern for Silicon and constructing a calibration curve for the diffractometer. The peaks in the pattern occur at specific degrees within the 2theta range, and the values from the ICDD are provided. The process of calculating the correction angle using Bragg's Law and the lattice parameter is mentioned, and a link to an international data base is given. The person is seeking help with calculating the correction angle for their calibration curve.
chicko1290
I have obtained an XRD pattern for Silicon, with the peaks occurring at 28.5, 47.35, 56.15, 69.3,76.4,88.05 degrees within the 2theta range.

h k l d-space
1 1 1 3.1200
2 2 0 1.9100
3 1 1 1.6300
4 0 0 1.3500
3 3 1 1.2400
4 2 2 1.1000

these are the values from the ICDD that are given. I have to construct a calibration curve for the diffractometer, which is meant to be a graph of the 2theta value vs. the correction angle. Except I have no idea how to calculate the correction angle

I assume I have to use Bragg's Law and the lattice parameter
1/d^2 = (h^2 + k^2 + l^2)/a^2

Please help as I can only find the value of a, then don't know what too do. Please help.

Chemistry news on Phys.org

1. What is a calibration curve for a diffractometer?

A calibration curve for a diffractometer is a plot of known diffraction angles versus the corresponding measured diffraction angles. It is used to determine the accuracy and precision of the instrument, as well as to calibrate the instrument for future measurements.

2. Why is it important to have a calibration curve for a diffractometer?

Having a calibration curve for a diffractometer is important because it allows for accurate and precise measurements of diffraction angles, which are essential for identifying and characterizing materials. Without a calibration curve, there is a risk of obtaining incorrect or unreliable data.

3. How do you obtain a calibration curve for a diffractometer?

To obtain a calibration curve for a diffractometer, a series of known reference materials with known diffraction angles are measured using the instrument. The measured diffraction angles are then plotted against the known diffraction angles to create the calibration curve.

4. Can a calibration curve change over time?

Yes, a calibration curve for a diffractometer can change over time due to factors such as instrument drift, wear and tear of components, and changes in environmental conditions. It is important to regularly check and update the calibration curve to ensure accurate measurements.

5. What are the potential sources of error in a calibration curve for a diffractometer?

Potential sources of error in a calibration curve for a diffractometer include instrumental errors such as misalignment, sample preparation errors, and environmental factors such as temperature and humidity. It is important to minimize these errors as much as possible to obtain an accurate calibration curve.