1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need help in filling out Tell us about yourself form

1. Nov 15, 2007 #1
    Need help in filling out "Tell us about yourself" form

Most of you probably done this before; I need to write a little thing to "tell us about yourself" for university admission.

I'm doing one for the University of Waterloo right now: Admission Information Form. (AIF) I'm applying for Physics. (Specificly their mathematical physics program)

I don't know what should I put. I don't play any sports and I'm not involved with my school in any way- with things like students council and stuff and I haven't done anything with my community.

What kind of things are they looking for? and are there things I shouldn't put?

Last edited: Nov 15, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 15, 2007 #2
    I need to fill out my AIF too, not this soon though.. Why are you doing this so early? I think you still have time to get more involved in those things so that your AIF will look more impressive.

4. Nov 15, 2007 #3
    To be honest, some of what they're looking for are what you stated that you lack. They want evidence of well-roundedness, demonstrated interest in your field, service to your community, leadership skills, teamwork ability, awards, honors, accomplishments, fun hobbies, even academic extracurriculars such as a physics club or competition. They want to know that you're more than just a physics-studying robot. You're more than just words on paper. You're human, and you know yourself better than anyone else. The admissions committee wants to learn about you in your own words, whatever you wish to tell them.

I disagree with the previous poster's suggestion of getting more involved now to attempt to make your AIF look more impressive. In my opinion, it'll look shallow and transparent. If you join a group because you really want to get involved, that's great, and no better time than now! But if you join simply to try to build up your resume, your true intentions will be obvious when you write that you've only been a member for a few weeks, haven't done anything yet, and don't have any real interest in the group. Getting involved is beneficial only if you're sincere.

5. Nov 16, 2007 #4
    Frankly, you know what they want. If you want to get in put down what they want to hear if you think it greatly increases your chances. My opinion, take it as you will.

6. Nov 16, 2007 #5
    Make a story centered around your interests, this way you can introduce what interests you with the University in a creative and effective way. I had a friend who pretty much wrote about what he carried in his backpack during High school and got into a University in the States.

7. Nov 18, 2007 #6
    Damnit I did not mention any of the sports or clubs I've been involved in when I submited my form. Just mentioned work experience and motivation, might be different forms but the general idea was the same.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?