Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need help manipulating Van der Walls Force

1. Oct 5, 2009 #1
    Hi,
    Its my first time so forgive me if I miss something.

I know a bit about physics. Protons +1, electrons -1, and neutrons have a charge of 0. Opposite charges attract and similiar charges repel.
    Van der waals force deals with electrostatic interactions between molecules.
    We all know that a baloon rubbed on hair will "stick" because of a static charge. I am looking to do the same thing to objects but have them repel instead. The only catch is i need to do it in a more practical manner using electricity and it needs to be practicaly small in size (smaller than 2in^3 would be ideal) no van der graff generators:rolleyes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PYVTQ9GaxE&feature=channel_page
    This video show a kid who created one and is using it to stick cards and other objects to the wall.

Does anyone know more about how to create one or where I can find out how to create one?

I am also interested in how a geckos foot uses van der waals forces to stick to almost any surface. It does this using lots of seta or little bristels each a few nanometers thick. Does anyone know where to buy a material like this?
    thanks in advance:smile:

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 13, 2009 #2
    Can anybody point me in the right direction?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook