Need help on projectile motion by 10:00 tonight (~ 2 hrs 10 mins from now)

In summary, the rescue plane must drop the supplies at a horizontal distance of 538.8 m in advance of the mountain climbers and the supplies should be given a vertical velocity of 70 m/s to arrive precisely at the climbers' position. This can be calculated using the equations y=y0-(vy0)t-0.5gt^2 and d=rt, with the initial height of 235 m and a time of 5.5 seconds.
Bensky

Homework Statement

A rescue plane wants to drop supplies to isolated mountain climbers on a rocky ridge 235 m below. The plane is traveling horizontally with a speed of 280 km/h (77.8 m/s).
3_41.gif

a) How far in advance of the recipients (horizontal distance) must the goods be dropped (Fig. 3 41a)? Already figured this out and got it right: 538.8 m

b) Suppose, instead, that the plane releases the supplies a horizontal distance of 425 m in advance of the mountain climbers. What vertical velocity (up or down) should the supplies be given so that they arrive precisely at the climbers' position (Fig. 3 41b)?
Magnitude: ?

Homework Equations

y=y0+(vy0)t-(1/2)gt^2

The Attempt at a Solution

Part A work:
y=y0+(vy0)t-(1/2)gt^2
235=(-1/2)(-9.8)(t^2)
t=6.93s

x=x0+vx0t
x=0+(77.8)(6.93)
x= 538.8 m
-------------------------------------
Part B work

d=rt
113.8=77.8t
t=1.5 s

tfinal= 6.93s - 1.5s
tfinal = 5.5s

y=y0+(vy0)t-(1/2)gt^2
235=0+(vy0)(5.5)-(1/2)(9.8)(5.5^2)
vy0~= 70 m/s

I think I did this problem right, but the computer keeps saying that it's wrong. Is this a rounding error? I have tried 70 m/s, but it said that was wrong so I think that I might have to round to 69.7 m/s instead of 70 m/s since the computer is picky sometimes. I only have one chance left to get it right. :P

If this isn't a rounding error, what have I done wrong? Any help is appreciated, thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
y=y0+(vy0)t-(1/2)gt^2
235=0+(vy0)(5.5)-(1/2)(9.8)(5.5^2)
vy0~= 70 m/s

your values for y and y0 need to be switched. because 0 is not your initial height, 235 is. also, if you designated up as positive and down as negative, your generic equation should be y=y0-(vy0)t-0.5gt^2. try that.

XJellieBX said:
your values for y and y0 need to be switched. because 0 is not your initial height, 235 is. also, if you designated up as positive and down as negative, your generic equation should be y=y0-(vy0)t-0.5gt^2. try that.

Wow, that was obvious. Thank you, it worked. :)

you're welcome =) glad I could help.

1. What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is the movement of an object through the air or space, under the influence of only gravity and air resistance.

2. How can I calculate the projectile motion of an object?

To calculate the projectile motion of an object, you will need to know the initial velocity, angle of launch, and the acceleration due to gravity. Using these values, you can use equations such as the kinematic equations or the range equation to determine the projectile's motion.

3. What are the key factors that affect projectile motion?

The key factors that affect projectile motion are the initial velocity, angle of launch, air resistance, and the acceleration due to gravity. These factors determine the trajectory, range, and time of flight of a projectile.

4. How does air resistance impact projectile motion?

Air resistance, also known as drag, can affect projectile motion by slowing down the object's speed and altering its trajectory. The greater the air resistance, the shorter the range and time of flight of a projectile will be.

5. Can you provide an example of projectile motion in real life?

One example of projectile motion in real life is a football being kicked by a player. The initial velocity and angle of launch determine the trajectory of the ball, and air resistance and gravity affect its motion as it travels through the air. The ball will eventually hit the ground due to the acceleration of gravity.