Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need help on simple binomial problem

1. Jul 13, 2010 #1
    Hello everyone,

Just have a quick question on a binomial problem.

The problem is as follows:

A teacher is giving a 15 question true-false quiz. He wants to design the quiz such that a person that guesses on all the answers have less than a 0.10 probability of passing. What should the teacher put as the passing number of questions to achieve this?

I have no idea how to do this.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 13, 2010 #2

statdad

Homework Helper

Suppose you call the number of correct responses needed to pass [itex] a [/itex]. If [itex] X [/itex] is the number of correc responses from 15 guesses, what must be the relation between [itex] X [/itex] and [itex] a [/itex] in order to pass?

4. Jul 13, 2010 #3
    I have my test in half an hour and that was the only question I didnt know how to do from the review.

So let A be the number needed to pass, then:

P(A) = 15_C_A * (0.5)^A * (0.5)^(15-A) = 15_C_A * (0.5)^15 = 0.000030518 * 15_C_A = 0.000030518 * [(15!)/(A!)(15-A)!]

and since I want P(A) < 0.10 then:

0.000030518 * [(15!)/(A!)(15-A)!] < 0.10

and solve for A? (no idea how to solve involving a factorial like that) Is this the way to go about this? A quick response will be appreciated :)

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook