Need help on this incline/slope problem .

• Thread starter tennis38
  • Start date
In summary, the cart begins from the top of a hill, originally at rest, and then travels down the slope. The hill has a height of 15 meters and a slope of 36 meters. The cart's mass is 6 kg and its final velocity becomes 4 m/s when the cart finally travels to the bottom of the slope. The work done against the friction is 6 kg*36 meters/s=120 joules.
tennis38
A cart begins from the top of a hill, originally at rest, and then travels down the slope. The hill has a height of 15 meters and a slope of 36 meters. The cart's mass is 6 kg and its final velocity becomes 4 m/s when the cart finally travels to the bottom of the slope.

Calculate the "work" that's is being done against the friction.

If anyone can provide a detailed response with appropriate steps, I would it appreciate it.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
tennis38 said:
If anyone can provide a detailed response with appropriate steps, I would it appreciate it.
No doubt you would, but it's not how this forum works. You need to post an attempt or a description of what's blocking you first. Please read the guidelines.

The obstacle in this problem is that there is no mention of the degree of incline.

tennis38 said:
The obstacle in this problem is that there is no mention of the degree of incline.

Draw a picture of the given information. There is enough information to find the angle of incline.

hint: use law of conservation :)

Last edited:
mrhoneycinnamo, please let the OP solve the problem. You are not supposed to completely solve the problem for them.
Guidelines for students and helpers said:
9. Helpers: don't provide the entire solution

tennis38 said:
yes, you can calculate the degree of incline by simply drawing the diagram(assuming the hill is triangle), but that will not help you get the answer.
This is becoz(i assume that you try to find the fictional force by using the factor method and sustitude the force into w=fs to get the amount of work)
but be aware that the force u will find is the resultant force and that is not nessecery equal to fictional force,unless object is in balanced state which is not in this case as it is indicated by acceleration(from stationary to 4m/s).

Nathanael said:
mrhoneycinnamo, please let the OP solve the problem. You are not supposed to completely solve the problem for them.

oh!My bad!I didn't know I am not supposed to do so. thanks for your reminding.xD

1. How do I calculate the incline/slope of an object?

To calculate the incline/slope of an object, you will need to measure the height and length of the object. Then, you can use the formula incline/slope = height/length to determine the angle of the incline/slope. This will give you a ratio or percentage that represents the steepness of the incline/slope.

2. What is the difference between incline and slope?

Incline and slope are often used interchangeably, but there is a slight difference between the two. Incline refers to the angle or steepness of an object, while slope refers to the ratio of rise over run. In other words, slope is a more specific measurement of incline and can be represented as a fraction or percentage.

3. How does incline/slope affect the force required to move an object?

The steeper the incline/slope, the more force is required to move an object up or down it. This is because the force is working against gravity, which is pulling the object down. The greater the incline/slope, the more energy is needed to overcome the force of gravity.

4. How can I use incline/slope in real-life situations?

Incline/slope is a common concept used in engineering, construction, and transportation. It is used to determine the angle of a road or ramp, the grade of a hill, and the steepness of a ski slope. It is also important in sports such as skateboarding, snowboarding, and biking, as it affects the difficulty and speed of the activity.

5. Can incline/slope be negative?

Yes, incline/slope can be negative if the object is going downhill or decreasing in height over a certain distance. In this case, the ratio or percentage will be represented as a negative value. It is important to pay attention to the direction of the incline/slope when using it in calculations or measurements.