1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need help on this incline/slope problem .

1. Aug 4, 2014 #1
    A cart begins from the top of a hill, originally at rest, and then travels down the slope. The hill has a height of 15 meters and a slope of 36 meters. The cart's mass is 6 kg and its final velocity becomes 4 m/s when the cart finally travels to the bottom of the slope.

Calculate the "work" that's is being done against the friction.

If anyone can provide a detailed response with appropriate steps, I would it appreciate it.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 5, 2014 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

No doubt you would, but it's not how this forum works. You need to post an attempt or a description of what's blocking you first. Please read the guidelines.

4. Aug 5, 2014 #3
    The obstacle in this problem is that there is no mention of the degree of incline.

5. Aug 5, 2014 #4

Nathanael

Homework Helper

Draw a picture of the given information. There is enough information to find the angle of incline.

6. Aug 5, 2014 #5
    hint: use law of conservation :)

Last edited: Aug 5, 2014
  7. Aug 5, 2014 #6

Nathanael

Homework Helper

mrhoneycinnamo, please let the OP solve the problem. You are not supposed to completely solve the problem for them.

8. Aug 5, 2014 #7
    yes, you can calculate the degree of incline by simply drawing the diagram(assuming the hill is triangle), but that will not help you get the answer.
    This is becoz(i assume that you try to find the fictional force by using the factor method and sustitude the force into w=fs to get the amount of work)
    but be aware that the force u will find is the resultant force and that is not nessecery equal to fictional force,unless object is in balanced state which is not in this case as it is indicated by acceleration(from stationary to 4m/s).

9. Aug 5, 2014 #8
    oh!My bad!I didn't know I am not supposed to do so. thanks for your reminding.xD

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted