1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need help Second year theoretical physics modules!

1. May 15, 2012 #1
    Hello, thank you for taking a look at this thread. Here is my dilemma, I can chose 30 credits from various math and physics courses (each worth 10) for my second year, but I've decided to do maths as the rest of my modules are all physics but there are so many I have no idea what maths modules would be most beneficial to a physicist.
    The modules are:-

MAS201
    Linear Mathematics for Applications
    Mas201

MAS202
    Advanced Calculus
    Mas202

MAS203
    Mechanics
    Mas203

MAS204
    Numerical Linear Algebra
    Mas204

MAS270 (Prerequisite can be ignored for this one)
    Vectors and Fluids
    Mas270

MAS271
    Methods for Differential Equations
    Mas271

There is also a module of the physics of Materials.
    My initial thoughts were to take "Vectors and Fluids", "Advanced calculus" and "Methods for Differential Equations", as we have been told to not take the mechanics if possible as its similar to the physics core mechanic's.
    Any help would be appreciated, I only wondering if any of the other modules would benefit me more than the one I have selected so far.

Edit:-
    I have already taken, maths wise:-
    Matrices and Geometry Mas171
    Practical Calculus Mas170
    Mathematics For physicists Mas165
    Mathematics with Maple Mas100
    Probability, Sets and Complex Numbers Mas101
    Differential and Difference Equations Mas103

Physics wise the topics we have covered:-
    Mechanics
    Electromagnetism
    Waves
    Basic quantum mechanics
    Special Relativity
    Optic's
    Thermodynamics

And the only course I am sure i want to take later on at university is "An Introduction to General relativity" Phy314 which has no prerequisites.

Thanks in advance,
    Matt

P.s:- The Differential Geometry Mas336

Last edited: May 15, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. May 15, 2012 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Can you post which courses you have already taken?? Can you also post the course contents of the courses in the OP??

4. May 15, 2012 #3
    Done I added links to course page with contents :)

5. May 15, 2012 #4

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

The courses which might be interesting are

- Linear mathematics for applications
    - Advanced calculus
    - Vectors and fluids
    - Methods for differential equations

Whatever you do, you should certainly take the last two. They are the most interesting. The first two courses seem to be extensions on what you have already seen. They are both quite useful. Linear mathematics is quite useful for things like quantum physics, or when you are dealing with linear systems. The advanced calculus course covers things like Fourier series which might be interesting for thermodynamics and stuff. I'd say to choose whatever you find most interesting.

6. May 15, 2012 #5
    I would disagree about taking the vectors and fluids. It appears the class is about applications of vector calculus to fluids. You already know vector calculus from your mathematical physics class. I would take Linear Mathematics for applications because it Linear Algebra has large uses in QM. This is coming from a freshmen physics major who took math up to so far Complex Varaibles.

7. May 15, 2012 #6
    Okay, thanks :)

I have taken a look at the third year modules and the reason i was going to do vectors and fluid is for the fluid mechanics, which when I've looked at it doesnt interest me, but what does is mas336 (differential geometry) which looks good and says its related to general relativity (google mas336 and its first link if you are curious) and i really want to be taking all the relativity/quantum mechanics modules later on and upto my masters years.
    so I'm thinking
    MAS201
    Linear Mathematics for Applications

MAS202
    Advanced Calculus

MAS271
    Methods for Differential Equations

which would lead on to the differential geometry and also the general relativity course.
    Does that seem like a wise choice, to say i like the quantum theory and relativity the most?

8. May 15, 2012 #7
    Linear Algebra is a must for differential geometry. Does your differential geometry have Analysis or Topology as a Prerequisite? This seems like a wise choice to me. If you want quantum theory then as I said Linear Algebra is very important. Also PDE come up in QM so it's good to be good with them.

9. May 15, 2012 #8
    No, the differential geometry only has the linear algebra and the advanced calculus as prerequisite. i will add link to OP. Mas336
    Most of the other theoretical students are picking "easy" modules. Which is what had me confused.
    I think ill go with this.
    Im also pretty go with PDE's two of my modules have covered them in detail.
    anyhow ill link mas336 above let me know your thoughts.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook