Need help setting up next semester

• Thread starter skakid812
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Semester
In summary, the individual is planning to pursue engineering and has just passed Trig. They are trying to figure out the best order for their next semester's classes in order to finish all their pre-requisite engineering classes at their current school before transferring out. They are considering taking pre-calc and general chemistry, but are unsure of what other classes to take. They have completed 46 credits towards general education but none specifically related to engineering. They are seeking advice on which classes to take and whether they will automatically receive an AS degree in pre-engineering upon completion. The expert suggests meeting with an advisor and recommends taking calculus and physics together, as well as getting general education classes out of the way and starting on math courses as soon as possible
skakid812
I have made the decision to pursue engineering, I just passed Trig and now I need to set up next semesters classes but I'm having trouble figuring out what order is best.. ultimately I would like to finish all my pre-req engineering classes at my current school and then transfer out. I was thinking pre calc/gen chemistry so far.. but I'm unsure what else can fit in. I am only going to be taking 3 classes, any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
I imagine it's hard for anyone to make a proper suggestion without knowing what particular schedule your school has. Being that you haven't started calculus, I imagine you will want to wait before taking calculus based physics or engineering courses. General chemistry is a good choice. Does your school require you to take an "Intro to Engineering" sequence? These are usually pretty fun and not too intense with the mathematics -- my school requires these, but I don't know if that holds true at other schools. Otherwise, just get some more general education classes out of the way, assuming you still have to take some.

Your school should have an adviser you can meet with to discuss class scheduling options. I highly suggest making use of this resource.

I needed a bit of history so I checked some of your other posts. It seems you've been in school for 2~ years now and you said you just finished trig, so I'm assuming you've also completed college algebra. If that's the case, and if your skills are up to the challenge, there's really no reason you couldn't enroll in Calc I in the Fall. If you've taken Algebra/Trig but aren't too confident, you could also consider taking PreCalc in the summer.

In a previous thread you said something about wanting to school full time in a year or so, but as (for whatever reason) you're only enrolling in 3 courses I would suggest that summer PreCalc course and Calc I/Physics I/Misc in the Fall followed by Calc II/Physics II/Statics in the Spring. So far as I know, as long as you're not doing ChemE you can take Chem whenever you want... so take the first of the Calc/Physics sequence so you're qualified to take Statics, and work from there. If you start going full-time after that you'll be all set to take your more advanced engineering courses.

Basically you want to get started on Calc+ math as soon as possible as you're already behind the curve. It'll take more time than your average 4-year degree as you'd be looking at an additional 1-2 years in initial courses -- but if you take it at a CC you won't incur any additional debt. I'd definitely recommend it. Better teachers (focused on teaching and not research), smaller class sizes, and a LOT cheaper. If you're eligible for Pell you're essentially paid to go.

Thanks for the reply, yes I am about 2 years deep already, 46 credits towards general nothing... kind of made the switch late but I am happy that I did. The reason I am having a hard time picking a third class is most of my gen ed are done.. so I don't want a "fluff" class I really want something that will transfer/be needed. I just want to get all my pre reqs done and then probably transfer to UF or UCF

I don't think its wise to take physics I/Calc I together concurrently, at my school calc I is a prereq to physics I anyways. The reason is because you don't even cover integral calculus until half way through the semester, and a physics I would go into integration with assumed knowledge very early in. I would take chemistry/calc together since chem doesn't require knowledge in calculus. I don't know how much chem you need but if its just 1 or 2 semesters get it out of the way now with math.

Another stupid question... right now I have 46 credits, I know its 60 for the AA degree... when I take calc 1,2,3/physics 1,2/chem 1,2 and it puts me over 60+credits... do I automatically get an AS degree in pre engineering? I'm confused because the 46 credits I do have now are just really general, nothing engineering related.

Assuming your school is like most, each Associates degree has a specific set of required courses. At mine, an AS (and that's what you'd probably be getting) is 64 credits. 6 English, 3 Comm, 3-5 Math, 8 Lab, 2 PE, 15 Liberal Arts. Even if you have all of those done, you're not yet ready to receive your Engineering AS. That's because in addition to the courses listed above you'd need (again, at my school) 24-27 Elective credits -- credits intended to fulfill the major requirements of your particular program. In this case, engineering.

To get a general AS in 'something' you need 3-5 math credits, but to get an AS in engineering you need.. well, more. Calc I-III, Linear Algebra, ODE. Just 2 labs, but engineers need more; Physics I-II, Chem I (ChemE needs II), etc. Other electives you might need (depending on your chosen engineering field) would include things like Intro Engineering, Statics, Dynamics, Strength of Materials, Engr Graphics, Circuits I-II (plus labs), Surveying, OChem, CS courses, etc.

The best thing about an Engineering AS is that when you transfer to a University with a matriculation agreement, all uni "core classes" are waived. In other words they assume that you've taken all classes generally taken in the first 2 years, and you don't have to worry about fulfilling whatever BS liberal arts requirements they have at their school in addition to the ones you fulfilled at your CC.

Tldr version: "No."

Right on, that makes sense.. I think my next move is to see an advisor and plan my next few semesters

What is the first step in setting up next semester?

The first step in setting up next semester is to determine your goals and objectives for the upcoming semester. This will help guide your decisions for course selection and scheduling.

How do I choose the right courses for next semester?

When choosing courses for next semester, it is important to consider your academic requirements and interests. Consult with your academic advisor for guidance and make sure to balance your workload and schedule effectively.

What resources are available for scheduling next semester?

There are a variety of resources available for scheduling next semester, such as your school's course catalog, online scheduling tools, and academic advisors. These resources can help you understand course offerings and availability.

What should I consider when creating my schedule for next semester?

When creating your schedule for next semester, it is important to consider your academic requirements, personal commitments, and preferred learning styles. Be sure to also leave room for breaks and self-care.

How can I prepare for a successful semester?

To prepare for a successful semester, make sure to review course materials and assignments beforehand, set realistic goals, and prioritize your time effectively. It can also be helpful to reach out for support from professors or academic resources if needed.