I deciding what class to take this semester

In summary, the conversation is about a student's dilemma between choosing to take Microeconomics or Differential Geometry. They are worried about the availability of classes and how they will fit into their work schedule, as well as the importance of taking Microeconomics for accreditation. The student is considering asking an academic advisor for advice.
Eclair_de_XII
It's kind of unrelated to the curriculum of these two classes, by the way.

Basically, I have a choice to take Microeconomics and Differential Geometry. While I do find the concept of applying my calculus and linear algebra skills to the latter course, I cannot help but feel that I have to take Microeconomics as soon as possible.

For my school, if I don't take Microeconomics by the end of 2018, I won't be able to be accredited by an actuary society. I'm also afraid that if I don't take Microeconomics this semester at this time slot, I won't know what time slots this class will be offered for in the next semester. On the other hand, I'm afraid that if I don't take Differential Geometry this semester, I will have a shortage of math classes to take next semester at a convenient time slot. I mean, I have other math classes I can take next fall, but I really don't know at what time and on what days they will be offered. The reason I need to take these classes at specific time slots is because I have work and must arrange my schedule so that I am able to meet the minimum amount of work hours my workplace requires me to do each week.

I am fully aware that I sound petty with these "reasons" as to why I want to take either of these courses. I just worry about the availability of these classes for this year, and whether or not they will fit into my work schedule. Is this a bad place to ask these questions? I feel like an academic advisor at my college would be better able to address my concerns.

Physics news on Phys.org
If I were you I would take Microeconomics, provided
Eclair_de_XII said:
For my school, if I don't take Microeconomics by the end of 2018, I won't be able to be accredited by an actuary society.

is true.

Likes StoneTemplePython

1. What factors should I consider when deciding what class to take this semester?

When deciding what class to take this semester, you should consider your major requirements, your interests and strengths, the availability of the class, and the workload of the class.

2. How do I know if a class will be too difficult for me?

You can get an idea of the difficulty level of a class by looking at the course description, talking to students who have taken the class before, and considering your own academic strengths and weaknesses.

3. Should I take a class just because it's a requirement for my major?

It's important to consider your interests and strengths when choosing classes, even if they are required for your major. However, if the class is a crucial requirement for your major, it may be wise to prioritize taking it.

4. How can I balance my schedule when choosing classes?

When choosing classes, it's important to consider the workload and time commitment of each class. Try to balance your schedule by mixing classes that have a heavier workload with ones that are more manageable, and leave time for studying and other commitments.

5. What resources are available to help me choose the right classes?

Your academic advisor is a valuable resource when it comes to choosing classes. They can provide guidance on meeting major requirements and offer suggestions based on your interests and strengths. You can also consult the course catalog, talk to other students, and attend class information sessions for more information.