Need help solving this differential equation

In summary, the solution is very complicated and involves a 6th degree polynomial whose coefficients are functions of a, b, c and d.
MegaFlyman
I've separated the variables of this differential equation and end up with
dx/((a-x)^(1/2)*(b-c(x-d)^3/2)). I've tried finding the integral of this with non-trig substitution methods but cannot solve it. Any help would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
MegaFlyman said:
I've separated the variables of this differential equation and end up with
dx/((a-x)^(1/2)*(b-c(x-d)^3/2)).
I don't see an equation here. (Where's the equals sign?) Start by writing the original problem and show us what work you have.

The original diff eq is

dx/dy = b(a-x)^1/2 - c(a-x)^1/2 * (x-d)^3/2

Separating variables results in my original posted equation

dy = dx/((a-x)^1/2 * (b-c(x-d)^3/2))

I have tried the substitution, u = (a-x)^1/2, x = a-u^2, dx = -2udu. Which results in

dy = -2dx/(b-c((-u^2+a)-d)^3/2)

Any further non-trig substitutions does not help to simplify. I believe a trig substitution is required but I have little experience with trig subs. I have already put any many hours looking for a solution and would like to know if a trig sub could be used to solve this. Thanks

I don't think there's any point in manipulating the ODE. You have reduced it to an integral, so work with that. Your substitutions so far look good, but I believe you can simplify it to ##\frac{du}{A-(1-u^2)^{\frac32}}##. Substituting u = sin(θ) and expanding with partial fractions can get you to a sum of terms like ##\frac{d\theta}{W-cos(\theta)}##, but I don't know where to go from there.

I'm not seeing anywhere to go after that either. But thanks for the input.

MegaFlyman said:
I'm not seeing anywhere to go after that either. But thanks for the input.

The integral is VERY complicated. It involves a lengthy formula that uses the roots of a 6th degree polynomial whose coefficients are functions of a, b, c and d. I did the integral in Maple, but if you do not have access to Maple you could try to submit it to Mathematica. Wolfram Alpha failed to find the integral.

Glad to hear that there is a solution. Since this thread is no longer in the schoolwork forum, would you be more forthcoming with the solution.

1. What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that involves a function and its derivatives. It describes the relationship between the dependent variable and its derivatives with respect to the independent variable.

2. How do I solve a differential equation?

The method for solving a differential equation depends on its type and order. Some common methods include separation of variables, substitution, and using integrating factors. It is important to understand the type of equation and choose the appropriate method for solving it.

3. Why are differential equations important?

Differential equations are used to model real-world phenomena in various fields such as physics, chemistry, biology, and engineering. They help us understand and predict how systems change over time, making them an essential tool in scientific research and problem-solving.

4. Can differential equations have multiple solutions?

Yes, differential equations can have multiple solutions. This is because there can be different functions that satisfy the equation and its initial conditions. It is important to specify the initial conditions to get a unique solution.

5. What is the difference between an ordinary differential equation and a partial differential equation?

An ordinary differential equation involves a single independent variable, while a partial differential equation involves multiple independent variables. Ordinary differential equations are used to model systems with one variable, while partial differential equations are used for systems with multiple variables.