Need help to get started on thermodynamics essay

In summary, the conversation was about a student's essay topic for their thermodynamics course. The student was interested in studying the second law/entropy from a mathematical perspective, but was struggling to come up with a specific scenario or system to focus on. Suggestions were given, including writing about Maxwell's demon, the thermodynamics of black holes, similarities between thermodynamics and the economy, and the relation between the second law and the arrow of time. The student was still undecided on a topic and was currently researching osmosis as a potential idea.
nossren
Hello,

As part of the examination of my thermodynamics course I have been given about a month to write an essay on a topic of my choice. The second law/entropy has been very interesting to learn about over the last few months and I would like to do more of a mathematical study of the phenomenon. "Entropy" is a bit too general though, I would like to study more specific scenarios/systems, but I can't come up with any good ones.

If anyone has any suggestions, feel free to share! :)

(I'm a first-year undergraduate, by the way.)

Physics news on Phys.org
jedishrfu said:
how about something related to maxwells demon:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maxwell's_demon

Like maybe you could compare and contrast osmosis to Maxwell's demon.
Never heard of osmosis before. Read a little about it and it sounds interesting. Do you know of any books/sites/papers that covers osmosis from a physical point of view?

Last edited:
You could also try writing about the Thermodynamics of Black holes, your teacher will probably be quite impressed if you can write a good essay on it ;)

TheAustrian said:
You could also try writing about the Thermodynamics of Black holes, your teacher will probably be quite impressed if you can write a good essay on it ;)
Sounds of course really interesting, but I don't want to take up something too big with several exams next month.. :p

Alternatively something less taxing would be that you can write about similarities between Thermodynamics and the Economy, there are plenty of freely available research papers to be found, even just by googling around. Thermoeconomics (yes there really is such a thing) is quite a fascinating emerging subject

TheAustrian said:
Alternatively something less taxing would be that you can write about similarities between Thermodynamics and the Economy, there are plenty of freely available research papers to be found, even just by googling around. Thermoeconomics (yes there really is such a thing) is quite a fascinating emerging subject
Economy isn't really my cup of tea. Thanks for the suggestions, though.

Did you manage to decide on something?:)

TheAustrian said:
Did you manage to decide on something?:)
Still undecided. At the moment I'm looking for some material on osmosis. Unless I find something more interesting I'll probably go with it. Still open for suggestions if you've got anything else!

What is thermodynamics?

Thermodynamics is the study of the relationship between heat, work, and energy. It is a branch of physics that deals with the conversion of energy from one form to another.

Why is thermodynamics important?

Thermodynamics is important because it helps us understand and predict the behavior of systems and processes involving energy. It has numerous applications in fields such as engineering, chemistry, and biology.

What are the laws of thermodynamics?

The three laws of thermodynamics are: 1) The law of conservation of energy, which states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted. 2) The law of entropy, which states that the total entropy of a closed system will always increase over time. 3) The law of absolute temperature, which states that it is impossible to reach absolute zero temperature through a finite number of processes.

What are some key concepts in thermodynamics?

Some key concepts in thermodynamics include heat, work, energy, internal energy, entropy, enthalpy, and specific heat capacity. These concepts are used to understand and analyze the behavior of systems and processes involving energy.

How can I get started on an essay about thermodynamics?

To get started on an essay about thermodynamics, it is important to first understand the topic and gather relevant information from credible sources. Organize your thoughts and ideas, and create an outline to guide your writing. Be sure to include key concepts and examples to support your arguments. Finally, proofread and edit your essay for clarity and accuracy.