1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need help to get started on thermodynamics essay

1. Apr 26, 2014 #1
    Hello,

As part of the examination of my thermodynamics course I have been given about a month to write an essay on a topic of my choice. The second law/entropy has been very interesting to learn about over the last few months and I would like to do more of a mathematical study of the phenomenon. "Entropy" is a bit too general though, I would like to study more specific scenarios/systems, but I can't come up with any good ones.

If anyone has any suggestions, feel free to share! :)

(I'm a first-year undergraduate, by the way.)

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 26, 2014 #2

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

Last edited: Apr 27, 2014
  4. Apr 27, 2014 #3
    Never heard of osmosis before. Read a little about it and it sounds interesting. Do you know of any books/sites/papers that covers osmosis from a physical point of view?

Last edited: Apr 27, 2014
  5. Apr 27, 2014 #4
    You could also try writing about the Thermodynamics of Black holes, your teacher will probably be quite impressed if you can write a good essay on it ;)

6. Apr 27, 2014 #5
    Sounds of course really interesting, but I don't want to take up something too big with several exams next month.. :p

7. Apr 27, 2014 #6
    Alternatively something less taxing would be that you can write about similarities between Thermodynamics and the Economy, there are plenty of freely available research papers to be found, even just by googling around. Thermoeconomics (yes there really is such a thing) is quite a fascinating emerging subject

8. Apr 27, 2014 #7
    Economy isn't really my cup of tea. Thanks for the suggestions, though.

9. Apr 27, 2014 #8
    Did you manage to decide on something?:)

10. Apr 27, 2014 #9
    Still undecided. At the moment I'm looking for some material on osmosis. Unless I find something more interesting I'll probably go with it. Still open for suggestions if you've got anything else!

11. Apr 27, 2014 #10
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted