Need Help w/ Beginner Permutations Question

If the numbers go up to 7, then all the book answers are wrong.In summary, the conversation discusses the formation of a 3-digit number using the digits 0-7 at most once each, with different restrictions. The attempts at solving the problem involve using the product principle and considering the limitation of the first digit not being 0. However, it is noted that the "correct answers" provided in the book may be incorrect as they are based on the assumption that the digits only go up to 6, rather than 7.
teetar

Homework Statement

"A 3-digit number is made up using the digits 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 and 7 at most once each. The number cannot start with 0. How many such numbers can be formed if:
a. there are no other restrictions
b. the number ends in a 5
c. the number ends in a 0
d. the number is divisible by 5 ?"

2. The attempt at a solution

a:
Three digits: _ _ _
First number can't be 0, 7 other possibilities: 7 _ _
Second number can be 0, 1 number has been used (of the 8), 7 more possibilities: 7 x 7 _
Third number can be any remaining 6: 7 x 7 x 6 = 294 Correct Answer is 180

b:
First number can't be 0, 5 is used, 6 other possibilities: 6 _ _
Second number can be 0, 2 numbers used, 6 other possibilities: 6 x 6 _
Third Number is 5: 6 x 6 x 1 = 36 Correct Answer is 25

c:
First number can't be 0, 0 is used, 7 other possibilities: 7 _ _
Second number can't be 0, 2 numbers used, 6 other possibilities: 7 x 6 _
Third Number is 0: 7 x 6 x 1 = 42 Correct Answer is 30

d:
First number can't be 0, 7 other possibilities: 7 _ _
Second number can be 0, 7 remaining possibilities: 7 x 7 _
Third number is either 0 or 5 (divisible by 5): 7 x 7 x 2 = 98 Correct Answer is 55

I am sorry for this post being so large, but that is all my work. I am probably missing some simple step that is messing up all my answers, however, that is how my book has taught me to look at the problems. Any help with what I'm doing incorrectly would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It looks to me like the 'correct answers' are incorrect! I agree with your answers.

I get a different answer for d), I get 84 (mentally so this may be wrong).

I agree with the others, the "correct" answers seem wrong.

Wouldn't answer D be the sum of B and C?P.S.
Are you sure the digits go up to 7?

If the digits only go up to 6, then the given answers are correct, otherwise they're wrong.

Last edited:
Likes 1 person
verty said:
I get a different answer for d), I get 84 (mentally so this may be wrong).

I get 78 for case (d).

Ray Vickson said:
I get 78 for case (d).

This is the correct answer.

Likes 1 person
Perhaps instead of "correct answer" I should have put "book answer." I do not agree with the book's answers, and now that I have others who also disagree with them I think I'll e-mail my math teacher for clarification over the matter. Thanks!

Also thanks everyone for your clarifications on case d, as I didn't think of using the sum principle because I wasn't paying enough attention and just kept going with the product principle.

teetar said:
Perhaps instead of "correct answer" I should have put "book answer." I do not agree with the book's answers, and now that I have others who also disagree with them I think I'll e-mail my math teacher for clarification over the matter. Thanks!

Did you notice Nathanael's (edited) post #5? All the book answers correspond to the numbers going up to 6, not 7.

1. What is a permutation?

A permutation is an arrangement of objects in a specific order. For example, if there are 3 objects A, B, and C, the possible permutations would be ABC, ACB, BAC, BCA, CAB, and CBA.

2. How do I solve a beginner permutation question?

To solve a beginner permutation question, you can use the formula n! / (n-r)! where n is the total number of objects and r is the number of objects in each permutation. You can also use a systematic approach by listing out all possible combinations and eliminating duplicates.

3. What is the difference between a permutation and a combination?

A permutation is an arrangement of objects where order matters, while a combination is a selection of objects where order does not matter. For example, ABC and ACB are different permutations, but they would be considered the same combination.

4. Can permutations be repeated?

It depends on the problem. Some permutation questions may specify that repetition is allowed, while others may not. If repetition is allowed, it means that an object can be used more than once in a permutation.

5. How can I apply permutations in real life situations?

Permutations can be applied in various real-life situations, such as arranging a seating chart for an event, creating a password with a specific number of characters, or organizing a list of items in a specific order. It can also be used in probability and statistics to calculate the number of possible outcomes in a given scenario.