Need help with a physics practical to do with slingshots?

• Thread starter obi1
  • Start date
Need help with a physics practical to do with slingshots!?

Basically im doing a project on slingshots, we are allowed to investigate any areas do do with physics, however I need some ideas, I was hoping I could change a couple of variables and measure things.

my idea was to change the density of the rubber band used in the sligshot and measure the potential energy, then work out the speed of the stone as it leaves the slingshot using KE=1/2 MV^2

But I feel that's not enough

Please can someone help me to find other PHYSICS area which I could investigate.

Answers and Replies

try changing angle of launch, initial speed, density of air (not possible though), ... but yes you can change volume of ball keeping mass same for the last one

to change the initial speed i would have to pull the rubber band more longer right, but the problems with that is that its no easy to do, the practical has to be up to Alevel standards :(

its necessary to use sling shot?

Do one thing ... get different rubbers of different elasticity ... use an apparatus so that each time rubber is pulled to same distance ... that way initial velocity will change

yh thats what ive been doing today lol, but my teacher said that thats to simple and predictable because it obvious that the more elastic the rubber band and more stretched the further the object will travel.

so show him how angle affects distance and height

(Hint: height is max at 90 and distance traveled at 45 ... ... ...shhhhh)

also show him that any angle θ from vertical or horizontal has same distance traveled but different height (except for 45)

ohh sounds great, will try that out on Monday, thanks for your help! :)