Need help with a physics practical to do with slingshots?

In summary, the speaker is looking for help with a physics practical involving slingshots. They have the idea of changing the density of the rubber band and measuring potential energy and speed, but are looking for other areas to investigate such as varying the distance the slingshot is pulled.
obi1
Need help with a physics practical to do with slingshots!?

Basically I am doing a project on slingshots, we are allowed to investigate any areas do do with physics, however I need some ideas, I was hoping I could change a couple of variables and measure things.

my idea was to change the density of the rubber band used in the sligshot and measure the potential energy, then work out the speed of the stone as it leaves the slingshot using KE=1/2 MV^2

But I feel that's not enough

Please can someone help me to find other PHYSICS area which I could investigate.

Physics news on Phys.org

You could vary how far back you pull the slingshot and then measure the resulting distance traveled by the shot?

1. What is the purpose of this physics practical with slingshots?

The purpose of this physics practical is to demonstrate the principles of projectile motion and energy transfer by using a slingshot as a launching device.

2. What materials are needed for this physics practical?

You will need a slingshot, a few different types of projectiles (such as marbles or small balls), a measuring tape, a stopwatch, and a clear space to conduct the experiment.

3. How do you set up the experiment with slingshots?

First, set up a target (such as a wall or piece of paper) at a known distance away from the slingshot. Then, measure and mark the distance from the slingshot to the target. Next, use the same amount of force to launch the projectile each time by pulling the slingshot back to a specific point. Finally, record the distance the projectile travels and the time it takes to reach the target.

4. How do you calculate the results from the physics practical?

Using the measurements of the distance and time, you can calculate the initial velocity of the projectile using the equation v = d/t. You can also calculate the average velocity and acceleration of the projectile using other equations related to projectile motion. This will help to analyze the energy transfer and motion of the projectile.

5. What are the potential safety precautions to take when conducting this physics practical?

It is important to always wear protective eyewear when conducting this experiment. Make sure to use a safe and open space to avoid injury or damage to property. Also, be cautious when handling the slingshot and projectiles to prevent accidents.