• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Need help with a project involving heavy metals

• Thread starter altegron
  • Start date
Basically my project is to present a method of removing Fe, Mn, Ca or Mg from water and then do an experiment on a sample of water with the heavy metal in it.

I've been doing a lot of searching online so far, and most of what I have found does not relate. I need something that I can actually perform myself, preferably something that I can make on my own. (I could possibly compare different types of products, but there is a $15 spending limit imposed by my teacher.)

I saw a thread and it looked like removing Iron would be something I could do in an experiment.

I just don't know where to start on that idea though. Would I need to acquire some type of Iron, and then get some chlorine? Just let them react in water and filter it? What would I use as a filter? We have filter paper in our classroom but I don't think that'd do it.

Please tell me if this would be a feasible option for this presentation/experiment...

P.S. Here is the thread I saw: physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=201728

Answers and Replies

symbolipoint
Homework Helper
Education Advisor
Gold Member
Search for information and resources on Ion Exchange Resins. That $15 limit must be ignored.