1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need help with a project involving heavy metals

1. May 11, 2008 #1
    Basically my project is to present a method of removing Fe, Mn, Ca or Mg from water and then do an experiment on a sample of water with the heavy metal in it.

I've been doing a lot of searching online so far, and most of what I have found does not relate. I need something that I can actually perform myself, preferably something that I can make on my own. (I could possibly compare different types of products, but there is a $15 spending limit imposed by my teacher.)

I saw a thread and it looked like removing Iron would be something I could do in an experiment.

I just don't know where to start on that idea though. Would I need to acquire some type of Iron, and then get some chlorine? Just let them react in water and filter it? What would I use as a filter? We have filter paper in our classroom but I don't think that'd do it.

Please tell me if this would be a feasible option for this presentation/experiment...

P.S. Here is the thread I saw: physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=201728
  2. jcsd
  3. May 12, 2008 #2

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Search for information and resources on Ion Exchange Resins. That $15 limit must be ignored.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?