Need help with identifying antique machinery parts, are those gears or not?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Romak
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Gears parts
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
Romak
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Good morning engineers.

I have a set of old patterns used for sand casting back in the days and I am wondering what kind of machinery parts they are. Especially, I would like to know if those are gears / cogs or something else. Any ideas?

Thank you so much!
 
Attachments
  • 01.jpg
    01.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 553
  • 03.jpg
    03.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 558
  • 04.jpg
    04.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 555
Physics news on Phys.org
They appear to be made from wood, and most wooden machines didn't have hydraulic pumps.

I wonder if it is one half of of a dog-clutch mechanism, i.e the rings slide along the shaft to engage in an outer "gear". But it's not obvious why there should be 3 rings of different sizes.

Or it could be part of the "pattern" used to make a mould for sand-casting metal parts. Pack the sand around the wood, remove the wood, pour in the metal. The "holes" in the end face of the wood could be where tools were inserted to remove the wood carefully without disturbing the sand.

There seems to be some writing on the end faces - does that give any clues what it was?

EDIT: Sorry - I read your post title "machinery parts" and missed that you already said they were casting patterns, not the actual parts.
 
Last edited: