Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need help with identifying antique machinery parts, are those gears or not?

1. Nov 30, 2012 #1
    Good morning engineers.

I have a set of old patterns used for sand casting back in the days and I am wondering what kind of machinery parts they are. Especially, I would like to know if those are gears / cogs or something else. Any ideas?

Thank you so much!

Attached Files:

• 01.jpg
      01.jpg
      File size:
      54 KB
      Views:
    • 03.jpg
      03.jpg
      File size:
      44.8 KB
      Views:
    • 04.jpg
      04.jpg
      File size:
      38.4 KB
      Views:
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 30, 2012 #2

Ranger Mike

Science Advisor

looks like interal part for hydraulic pump

4. Dec 1, 2012 #3

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

They appear to be made from wood, and most wooden machines didn't have hydraulic pumps.

I wonder if it is one half of of a dog-clutch mechanism, i.e the rings slide along the shaft to engage in an outer "gear". But it's not obvious why there should be 3 rings of different sizes.

Or it could be part of the "pattern" used to make a mould for sand-casting metal parts. Pack the sand around the wood, remove the wood, pour in the metal. The "holes" in the end face of the wood could be where tools were inserted to remove the wood carefully without disturbing the sand.

There seems to be some writing on the end faces - does that give any clues what it was?

EDIT: Sorry - I read your post title "machinery parts" and missed that you already said they were casting patterns, not the actual parts.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2012
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook