Need Help with Newton's equation and circular motion

In summary: I think that ##\omega## is supposed to be a variable and not a constant as you seem to have it. The statement ##\omega=\omega\in\mathbb{R}## makes no sense, unless ##\omega## is a constant. But in that case it is not a variable and it cannot be proved to be real or not. Perhaps there is some confusion here between the "independent" variable ##t## and the dependent one ##\omega##?As for the last question, I think that you are supposed to show that with the given equation of motion, the motion of the particle is circular. I am not sure how you do that since you have no values except for ##r##, which is
JPTM

Homework Statement

1. Proof that the vectors [itex]\vec{t}(t) = cos(ω(t)), sin(ω(t))[/itex] and [itex]\vec{n}(t) = -sin(ω(t)), cos(ω(t))[/itex] are linearly independant

2. Proof that [itex]ω = ω\in\mathbb R[/itex]

3. Can all angular velocities indicate a possible circular orbit? If so, proof it, if not which angular velocities do?

-ω is the angular velocity
-The movement starts at (r,0)
-We don't use r = 0

Homework Equations

We have 3 given equations:

[tex]F(t) = μ\vec{r''}(t) = - \dfrac{k}{(r(t))^3}\vec{r}(t)[/tex]

Which can be rewritten as:

[tex]\vec{r''}(t) = \dfrac{f(r(t))}{μr(t)}\vec{r}(t)[/tex]

Also the equation of our circular motion is:

[tex]\vec{r}(t) = r(cos(ω(t)), sin(ω(t)))[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

1. Can simply be proven by calculating the dot product of t(t) and n(t) which = 0 which means that they have to be linearly independant

2. This is the one I'm stuck at, I've never had any exercise or read something about how you could proof that something is a real number

3. I think I need 2. for this one

Help would be grately appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
With order...

Pay attention that in point 1) you are simply proving, showing that the dot product is zero, that the vectors are perpendicular. You have to prove that they are linearly independent though, which I don't think in general is the same thing. Use the definition of linearly independent vectors and show that indeed the combination ##a\vec{t}+b\vec{n}=0## if and only if ##a## and ##b## are both zero (it is easily done). If it happens then indeed they will be linearly independent.

As for point 2), I do not understand what is the meaning of such a question. In general the argument of a sine or cosine is real, so you should have some condition to satisfy for this not to happen. And I also do not understand the meaning of the third question as well... could you give some more information about this?? Also perhaps specifying what the equations you have are??

Orthogonality always implies linear independence, so I think the proof of #1 is OK.

The other questions are indeed puzzling.

1. What is Newton's equation for circular motion?

Newton's equation for circular motion is F = m * v² / r, where F is the centripetal force, m is the mass of the object, v is the velocity, and r is the radius of the circular path.

2. How is Newton's equation related to circular motion?

Newton's equation describes the relationship between the forces acting on an object and its motion in a circular path. It states that an object will continue to move in a circular path at a constant speed unless acted upon by an external force.

3. What is the centripetal force in Newton's equation?

The centripetal force is the force that is directed towards the center of the circular path and keeps the object in circular motion. It is responsible for constantly changing the direction of the object's velocity.

4. How is the mass of the object related to Newton's equation for circular motion?

The mass of the object is directly proportional to the centripetal force in Newton's equation. This means that the greater the mass of the object, the greater the force needed to keep it in circular motion.

5. Can Newton's equation be used to calculate the speed of an object in circular motion?

Yes, Newton's equation can be rearranged to solve for the velocity of an object in circular motion. The equation is v = √(F * r / m). This shows that the speed of an object is directly proportional to the centripetal force and the radius of the circular path, and inversely proportional to the mass of the object.