Need Help with problems involving constant acceleration and constant speed. :/

In summary, a car with a constant acceleration of 3.60 m/s^2 overtakes a truck traveling at a constant speed of 20.5 m/s. Using the equation (Vx)2=(V0x)2+2ax(x-x0), the distance at which the car overtakes the truck is found to be 58.36 meters.
irubi005

Homework Statement

At the instant the traffic light turns green, a car that has been waiting at an intersection starts ahead with a constant acceleration of 3.60 m/s^2. At the same instant a truck, traveling with a constant speed of 20.5 m/s, overtakes and passes the car.

How far beyond its starting point does the car overtake the truck?

How fast is the car traveling when it overtakes the truck?

Homework Equations

(Vx)2=(V0x)2+2ax(x-x0)

The Attempt at a Solution

First, I realized that time wasn't involved in the equation. That's how I knew how what equation to use. Then i tried converting it into ax= ((Vx)2-(V0x)2)/2(X-X0). After plugging in all the numbers: 3.60 m/s^2 being the acceleration and 20.5 i believe is just the absolute value of the velocity so i plugged that in as the second velocity. Through out the problem i was trying to figure out x... which turned out to be x= 420.25/7.20 m= 58.36. But then the question asks how far beyond it's starting point does the car overtake the truck? how do i figure that out after figuring out x, which is the distance at which the truck overpassed the car... can someone help me?

Physics news on Phys.org
The car and the truck start simultaneously at the signal. When they meet again, they must have traveled same distanced in th4e same interval of time.

Hence 1/2*a*t^2 = v*t.

Solve for t and then find x.

1. What is the difference between constant acceleration and constant speed?

Constant acceleration refers to a situation where an object's velocity changes by the same amount over equal time intervals. On the other hand, constant speed means that the object is moving at a consistent rate without changing its velocity.

2. How do I calculate the velocity of an object with constant acceleration?

To calculate the velocity of an object with constant acceleration, you can use the formula: v = u + at, where v is the final velocity, u is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration, and t is the time.

3. Can an object have both constant acceleration and constant speed?

No, an object cannot have both constant acceleration and constant speed at the same time. If an object has constant acceleration, its speed will change over time. If an object has constant speed, its acceleration will be zero.

4. How can I determine the distance traveled by an object with constant acceleration?

To find the distance traveled by an object with constant acceleration, you can use the formula: d = ut + 1/2at^2, where d is the distance, u is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration, and t is the time.

5. What are some real-world examples of objects with constant acceleration?

Some examples of objects with constant acceleration include a car accelerating on a straight road, a ball thrown upwards, and a rocket taking off into space.