Need help with simple proof, metric space, open covering.

In summary, the proof shows that if there is an ball with radius r around x, and this ball is contained in an O in the open covering, and if y is contained in that ball then |f(x)-f(y)|≤d(x,y).
bobby2k
Please take a look at the proof I added, there are some things I do not understand with this proof.

1. Does it really show that |f(x)-f(y)|≤d(x,y) for all x and y? Or does it only show that if there is an ball with radius r around x, and this ball is contained in an O in the open covering, and if y is contained in that ball. Then |f(x)-f(y)|≤d(x,y)?

2. Also please take a look at the sentence I underlined with a red line. Why can he say that
f(y)≥f(x)-d(x,y)? I could understand if he wrote r instead of f(x), that is f(y)≥r-d(x,y), why is he allowed to use r instead of f(x)?

Attachments

• proof,opencovering.png
    proof,opencovering.png
    40.2 KB · Views: 487
Physics news on Phys.org
In the second paragraph, there is an implicit assumption that ##d(x,y) < r##. This assumption is fine since continuity at ##x## depends only on what happens near ##x##, but this should have been stated explicitly, because as written, the rest is nonsense if ##d(x,y) \geq r##.

Regarding the red underlined inequality: I agree with you that the immediate implication is ##f(y) \geq r - d(x,y)##. This inequality is valid for any ##r## in the set ##S = \{r \in \mathbb{R} | r < 1 \text{ and } d(x,y) < r \text{ and } B(x;r) \subseteq O\}##. Therefore it is also valid for ##r = \sup S##, but ##\sup S## is simply ##f(x)##, by definition.

jbunniii said:
In the second paragraph, there is an implicit assumption that ##d(x,y) < r##. This assumption is fine since continuity at ##x## depends only on what happens near ##x##, but this should have been stated explicitly, because as written, the rest is nonsense if ##d(x,y) \geq r##.

Regarding the red underlined inequality: I agree with you that the immediate implication is ##f(y) \geq r - d(x,y)##. This inequality is valid for any ##r## in the set ##S = \{r \in \mathbb{R} | r < 1 \text{ and } d(x,y) < r \text{ and } B(x;r) \subseteq O\}##. Therefore it is also valid for ##r = \sup S##, but ##\sup S## is simply ##f(x)##, by definition.

Thank you very much! But what is it that makes the inequality still hold? What has me puzzled is that r ≤ sup S for any R in S? So it seems to me that we can't change sup S with r, since the inequality in
f(y) ≥ r - d(x,y) goes the other way?

I mean, if we have a change a part of the smaller size of the inequality with a bigger one, the inequality might not still hold?
Lets say that f(y)=7, r = 6, and d(x,y)=1, and sup S = 10
then f(y) ≥ r-d(x,y),
but we can not say that f(y) ≥ sup S - d(x,y)?

Last edited:
bobby2k said:
Thank you very much! But what is it that makes the inequality still hold? What has me puzzled is that r ≤ sup S for any R in S? So it seems to me that we can't change sup S with r, since the inequality in
f(y) ≥ r - d(x,y) goes the other way?
In general, if we have any bounded set ##S##, and we are given that ##x \geq y## for every ##y \in S##, then we can conclude that ##x \geq \sup S##.

Proof: suppose that ##x < \sup S##. Now ##\sup S## is the LEAST upper bound of ##S##, so ##x## is not an upper bound of ##S##. Therefore there is some ##y \in S## such that ##x < y##. But this contradicts ## x \geq y## for every ##y \in S##.

Likes 1 person
Thanks man, very elegant!

bobby2k said:
I mean, if we have a change a part of the smaller size of the inequality with a bigger one, the inequality might not still hold?
Lets say that f(y)=7, r = 6, and d(x,y)=1, and sup S = 10
then f(y) ≥ r-d(x,y),
but we can not say that f(y) ≥ sup S - d(x,y)?
In this example, the inequality ##f(y) \geq r - d(x,y)## is false if ##r > 8##. But ##\sup S = 10##. Therefore there must be some values of ##r \in S## between ##8## and ##10## for which the inequality is false. So this example is different from the situation in your proof.

bobby2k said:
Thanks man, very elegant!
Here's an even simpler way to put it: the condition ##x \geq y## for all ##y \in S## means exactly that ##x## is an upper bound of ##S##. Therefore ##x## must be at least as big as the LEAST upper bound of ##S##.

Likes 1 person
Code:
jbunniii said:
Here's an even simpler way to put it: the condition ##x \geq y## for all ##y \in S## means exactly that ##x## is an upper bound of ##S##. Therefore ##x## must be at least as big as the LEAST upper bound of ##S##.

Ah offcourse, thanks!

1. What is a simple proof?

A simple proof is a logical argument that provides evidence or justification for a mathematical statement or theorem. It typically uses basic axioms and previously proven theorems to arrive at a conclusion.

2. What is a metric space?

A metric space is a mathematical concept that defines the distance between any two points in a set. It consists of a set of objects and a function that measures the distance between these objects.

3. How do I approach a proof in metric space?

To approach a proof in metric space, you should first understand the definition of the metric space and the properties associated with it. Then, you can use these properties to manipulate the given information and arrive at the desired conclusion.

4. What is an open covering?

An open covering is a collection of open sets that covers the entire space under consideration. In other words, it is a set of open sets that contains all the points in the given space.

5. How do I use an open covering in a proof?

To use an open covering in a proof, you can start by assuming that the given statement is false. Then, construct an open covering that does not contain any contradiction. This will lead to a contradiction, proving the original statement to be true.