Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need help with simple proof, metric space, open covering.

1. Jan 13, 2014 #1
    Please take a look at the proof I added, there are some things I do not understand with this proof.

1. Does it really show that |f(x)-f(y)|≤d(x,y) for all x and y? Or does it only show that if there is an ball with radius r around x, and this ball is contained in an O in the open covering, and if y is contained in that ball. Then |f(x)-f(y)|≤d(x,y)?

2. Also please take a look at the sentence I underlined with a red line. Why can he say that
    f(y)≥f(x)-d(x,y)? I could understand if he wrote r instead of f(x), that is f(y)≥r-d(x,y), why is he allowed to use r instead of f(x)?

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 13, 2014 #2

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

In the second paragraph, there is an implicit assumption that ##d(x,y) < r##. This assumption is fine since continuity at ##x## depends only on what happens near ##x##, but this should have been stated explicitly, because as written, the rest is nonsense if ##d(x,y) \geq r##.

Regarding the red underlined inequality: I agree with you that the immediate implication is ##f(y) \geq r - d(x,y)##. This inequality is valid for any ##r## in the set ##S = \{r \in \mathbb{R} | r < 1 \text{ and } d(x,y) < r \text{ and } B(x;r) \subseteq O\}##. Therefore it is also valid for ##r = \sup S##, but ##\sup S## is simply ##f(x)##, by definition.

4. Jan 13, 2014 #3
    Thank you very much! But what is it that makes the inequality still hold? What has me puzzled is that r ≤ sup S for any R in S? So it seems to me that we can't change sup S with r, since the inequality in
    f(y) ≥ r - d(x,y) goes the other way?

I mean, if we have a change a part of the smaller size of the inequality with a bigger one, the inequality might not still hold?
    Lets say that f(y)=7, r = 6, and d(x,y)=1, and sup S = 10
    then f(y) ≥ r-d(x,y),
    but we can not say that f(y) ≥ sup S - d(x,y)?

Last edited: Jan 13, 2014
  5. Jan 13, 2014 #4

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

In general, if we have any bounded set ##S##, and we are given that ##x \geq y## for every ##y \in S##, then we can conclude that ##x \geq \sup S##.

Proof: suppose that ##x < \sup S##. Now ##\sup S## is the LEAST upper bound of ##S##, so ##x## is not an upper bound of ##S##. Therefore there is some ##y \in S## such that ##x < y##. But this contradicts ## x \geq y## for every ##y \in S##.

6. Jan 13, 2014 #5
    Thanks man, very elegant!

7. Jan 13, 2014 #6

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

In this example, the inequality ##f(y) \geq r - d(x,y)## is false if ##r > 8##. But ##\sup S = 10##. Therefore there must be some values of ##r \in S## between ##8## and ##10## for which the inequality is false. So this example is different from the situation in your proof.

8. Jan 13, 2014 #7

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Here's an even simpler way to put it: the condition ##x \geq y## for all ##y \in S## means exactly that ##x## is an upper bound of ##S##. Therefore ##x## must be at least as big as the LEAST upper bound of ##S##.

9. Jan 13, 2014 #8
    Code (Text):

Ah offcourse, thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook