1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need information about pursuing Ph.D in USA

1. Jun 21, 2007 #1
    i am doing my M.Sc. Physics... i am interested in pursuing my Ph.D in Physics in USA... wht more tests do i need to take other than GRE and Toefl.... i heard abt physics gre recently but know nothing abt it... please tell me abt the test and is it really necessary for pursuing a Ph.D

thank you
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 21, 2007 #2
    Well I'm a first year PhD student, and the GRE is the only test I had to take (I'm a native English speaker, so no TOEFL). You can check out the GRE for yourself by going to the ETS website. Just Google "GRE ETS" and find the page for the physics GRE. They have a practice physics GRE that you can download as a PDF.
  4. Jun 21, 2007 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

That is rather strange. How are you able to know about the GRE General test but not heard of the GRE Subject test?

Please go the GRE website. All the info you need to know about the subject test are there.

Is it really necessary? Depends on the school. Most schools will want such scores especially from international students and especially if they're not familiar with the institution that granted your degree.

5. Jun 22, 2007 #4
    Thanx for ur comments

thank u for ur reply ...
    could sum1 please tell me for how much score is the physics gre for... and do i need any extra preparation other than my M.Sc. subjects for doing well in the exam....
  6. Jun 22, 2007 #5
    i also have another doubt...
    for how many years is the physics gre score valid.....
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?