Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need mechanism for connect from handle to controlled object (please see pic)

  1. Oct 30, 2014 #1

    Please see the above picture, I need a mechanism to connect handle to a controlled object below. While the handle moves from a to b (~10cm) the object needs to move from c to d (about 25 - 30 cm) and when handle moves back from b to a, the object needs to moves back from d to c. They are both restricted in a box 3 to 4 cm high.

    The mechanism should be simple and reliable for repeat operation. So I prefer rod, bar connection over gear or wire link.

    Is there something like mechanical telescopic rod on the market where you can extend the whole rod length by moving a little control distance?
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 30, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 30, 2014 #2


    User Avatar
    Gold Member

    How about a slotted vertical lever arrangement, pivoted between the two paths such that the motion of the lower end is 2 or 3 times the motion of the upper end?
  4. Oct 31, 2014 #3


    User Avatar
    Gold Member

    In this case, I honestly can't think of anything better than just running some fishline through a 2:1 or 3:1 (depending upon what you end up having as your actual final path) pulley arrangement.
    A couple of wheels, a couple of knots, and Bob's your uncle.
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook