1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Support PF! Reminder for those going back to school to buy their text books via PF Here!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Other Need some good physics textbooks

1. Mar 17, 2015 #1

MMS

Hello everyone,

This semester I'm taking the following important classes in physics and I was hoping you guys could help me out a little and state which good books you know concern the subjects.
    The courses are Quantum Mechanics 1, Statistical and Thermal Physics and lastly Electromagnetism and Electrodynamics.

Help is much appreciated.

Thank you!

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 17, 2015 #2
    For electromagnetism I'd recommend either the second volume of "The Feynman Lectures on Physics" or "Introduction to electrodynamics" by Griffiths.
    I'm assuming that you know all the vector and multivariable calculus and stuff

4. Mar 18, 2015 #3
  5. Mar 19, 2015 #4

MMS

Thanks for the reply.

As for Griffiths' book, do you think it is at the right level of the course I'm talking about? We kind of used this book in E&M during my first year and it seemed just right there.

EDIT: Just to make things clear, I'm still not that sure what we're going to cover in the course and at what level since no syllabus has been posted yet, so I'm simply making assumptions.

6. Mar 19, 2015 #5

MMS

Thanks for the recommendations.

Question, is the quantum mechanics book suitable for students taking quantum physics for the first time ever?

7. Mar 19, 2015 #6
  8. Mar 19, 2015 #7
    Did you guys cover all of the book in first year?
    I am not sure if it'd suit your course. You may want to ask some people who have already taken the course.
    But Griffiths is a sophisticated book, in my opinion.

9. Mar 21, 2015 #8
    Feel like Griffith's isn't enough? Give Classical Electrodynamics by JD Jackson a go

10. Mar 22, 2015 #9

MMS

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
  11. Mar 22, 2015 #10

MMS

To be honest, I just remembered that I studied from Griffith's book by myself when the the recommended book was Purcell's so we technically didn't cover anything from that book.
    Anyway, the professor said it's a good book today but to keep in mind that it lacks a couple of significant topics.

Thank you!

12. Mar 22, 2015 #11

MMS

Thanks!
    The professor said that it's not that good of a book to study from but it's usually the textbook used in universities in this course for some reason..

13. Mar 22, 2015 #12

MMS

Any suggestions though on thermal & statistical physics?

14. Mar 24, 2015 #13

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

Have you tried the forum search feature (top right of the page)? A search for "thermodynamics" gives a lot of hits.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted