What are some good Physics books?

In summary, the conversation discusses different books on quantum theory and popular physics. The first book mentioned focuses on the ideas behind quantum theory and includes amusing stories about physicists. The second book focuses more on the people behind the theories and less on the science. The third book is recommended by one of the speakers. They also mention the author Gamow, who is praised for his writing and accurate portrayal of science.
Trexman89
I just finished reading through this book

[PLAIN]http://e-ducation.net/scientists/30years.jpg

and I really liked it. The author focused on the ideas that shaped quantum theory, and only talked about the people behind the theories when it was relevant...although the author does go into several amusing stories about the different physicists.

I am halfway through this book

[URL]http://wilwheaton.typepad.com/.a/6a00d8341c59aa53ef0133f2758cb2970b-800wi[/URL]

I haven't got into it as much. It focuses completely on the people behind the theories and doesn't talk about the science so much.

I've also heard good things about about this book, but I haven't picked it up yet.

[URL]http://physicsworld.com/blog/dirac2.jpg[/URL]

so does anyone have any books they would recommend?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
For Popular Physics, I think Gamow is great. He can write, and, being a Physicist, doesn't butcher the science like many non-physicist pop-sci authors tend to.

Gokul43201 said:
For Popular Physics, I think Gamow is great. He can write, and, being a Physicist, doesn't butcher the science like many non-physicist pop-sci authors tend to.

yea Gamow is great. I'll definitely pick up his other books. Reading a book by someone who actually worked with Bohr is awesome!

1. What are some good introductory physics books for beginners?

Some good introductory physics books for beginners include "Concepts of Physics" by H.C. Verma, "Fundamentals of Physics" by David Halliday and Robert Resnick, and "University Physics" by Hugh D. Young and Roger A. Freedman.

2. What are some good advanced physics books for those with a strong background in the subject?

Some good advanced physics books for those with a strong background in the subject include "The Feynman Lectures on Physics" by Richard P. Feynman, "Classical Electrodynamics" by John David Jackson, and "Quantum Mechanics" by Albert Messiah.

3. Are there any physics books that are particularly good for self-study?

Yes, some physics books that are particularly good for self-study include "Understanding Physics" by Isaac Asimov, "Physics for Scientists and Engineers" by Paul A. Tipler and Gene Mosca, and "The Theoretical Minimum" by Leonard Susskind and George Hrabovsky.

4. Can you recommend any physics books that focus on specific topics within the subject?

Yes, some physics books that focus on specific topics within the subject include "The Elegant Universe" by Brian Greene for string theory, "The Fabric of the Cosmos" by Brian Greene for cosmology, and "The Particle at the End of the Universe" by Sean Carroll for particle physics.

5. Are there any physics books that incorporate real-world applications and examples?

Yes, some physics books that incorporate real-world applications and examples include "Fundamentals of Physics" by David Halliday and Robert Resnick, "Physics for Scientists and Engineers" by Paul A. Tipler and Gene Mosca, and "Conceptual Physics" by Paul G. Hewitt.