Need some quick physics 110 help

• Thread starter realfuzzhead
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, the question is asking how much an object that weighs 100 pounds on Earth's surface (4k miles from the center) would weigh when moved to 4000 miles above the surface. Using the formula f=Gm1m2/r2, the weight would be 25 pounds. In a separate scenario, if the object is moved to a planet with 5 times the radius and is 2 times as large, the weight would be 8 pounds.
realfuzzhead
this should be obvious, but I'm a little confused. Question is, ' If an object weight 100 pounds on the Earth's surface (4k miles from the center), is moved to 4000 miles above the surface. How much does it weigh?'

f=Gm1m2/r2, so you would square the r, which means you would divide Gm1m2 by 4 correct? So 25 pounds?

2.) An object on the surface of Earth that weighs 100 pounds is moved to a planet with 5x the radius and that is 2x as large, how much does the object weigh?

so it would be Gm1m2/r2= 100 lbs.

G(2)m1m2/52= 2/25 = 1/12.5.-- 100 * 1/12.5 = 8 lbs.

right?

Physics news on Phys.org
It looks all right.

What is Physics 110?

Physics 110 is an introductory course in physics that covers the basic principles and laws of motion, energy, and matter. It is designed for non-science majors and typically does not require a strong background in math or science.

Why do I need help with Physics 110?

Physics can be a challenging subject for many students, especially those who do not have a strong foundation in math and science. Getting help with Physics 110 can improve your understanding of the material and help you succeed in the course.

What topics are typically covered in Physics 110?

The topics covered in Physics 110 may vary slightly depending on the specific course or instructor, but typically include concepts such as motion, forces, energy, waves, and electricity. Some courses may also cover basic principles of modern physics.

What are some resources I can use for quick help with Physics 110?

There are many resources available for quick help with Physics 110, including online tutorials, practice problems, study guides, and tutoring services. Your instructor may also have office hours or study sessions where you can get help.

How can I be successful in Physics 110?

To be successful in Physics 110, it is important to attend class regularly, take good notes, and actively participate in class discussions and activities. It is also helpful to practice solving problems and seek help when needed. Developing a strong understanding of the basic concepts will also be beneficial for more advanced topics in the course.