1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need to compare 1st year science /w 1st year engineering

1. Aug 15, 2007 #1
    hello everyone,

I've completed my first year at UBC and I have developed a strong interest in transferring into engineering but unfortunately lack the courses to do so at the moment (didn't take chemisty 12 back in highschool,hated it). So i have a few questions for you :)

How hard is engineering mechanics compared to calculus-based physics (first year)?

What was the major focus in your programming course? (several kind of loops, arrays, objects, etc)

What was focused on in your chemistry portion of the course? In other words, what topics/chapters were more important (kinetics, 1st law of thermodynamics, equilibrium, etc) ?

Also, If you can somehow provide me with the name of some textbooks that you used, or some of the questions, that would be of great help. I remember looking at my friend's engineering mechanics textbook and i completely freaked out, it was almost like every problem was in 3D and they were much more complex than what we were going though.

I mean we never did crane problems, or cranes with multiple pullies, i wonder what that is like.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 15, 2007 #2
    How hard is engineering mechanics compared to calculus-based physics (first year)?

Id say engineering mechanics is much less involved than first year physics. the topics are straight-forward and based on a step by step problem solving method. the hardest part sometimes is visualizing what is happening in three dimensional situations

What was the major focus in your programming course? (several kind of loops, arrays, objects, etc)

I only had one half of a semester as an introduction to C++. so we touched on the topics you mentioned, and i soon forgot them

What was focused on in your chemistry portion of the course? In other words, what topics/chapters were more important (kinetics, 1st law of thermodynamics, equilibrium, etc) ?

it was equivalent to chem 1 as any other science major would take. reactions, equation balancing, acids bases, etc. thermodynamics will be a separate course if your major calls for it

I wouldnt worry about your situation. i switched to civil engineering after being a math/physics major for a year, and then the next summer i switched to mechanical/math, and it all went smooth

4. Aug 16, 2007 #3
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2007
  5. Aug 16, 2007 #4
    thankyou emrik,

and to leakin99: i've been to that page before but the engineering academic adviser told me that i need an average of 70%... and i hear that she told my friend that he needs a 75% average. She seemed surprised when i pointed out that page to her though, but still stood by her statement. Still appreciate your input.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?