Need to find the odds for my game

• B
  • Thread starter Alanay
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Game
In summary: If there are 9 or more, it's a loss. If there are 9 or fewer, it's a win. In summary, the odds of losing in the game are dependent on the number of blocks chosen and the possibility of a diagonal line being formed. To determine the chance of losing, one must consider all possible ways a line can be formed and check for collisions.
Alanay
Okay so I have made a game, it's a grid 10x10 going from 0-99. I need to find out the odds going up from 1 to 9 numbers. 9 is the limit or else it's possible for them to go in a diagonal line across the board and lose every time. That's because after 5-10 seconds a line will appear destroying 10 blocks going vertically or horizontally. So there's a 1-100 chance any number will be chosen, then there's a 50/50 chance it will go vertically or horizontally, if I chose just the number 0 do I have a 10% chance to lose? Because there's a 1% chance right off the bat it will get chosen, then 18% chance one of the blocks adjacent to it will be chosen, then the 18% halves because it can got in the other direction. Can someone check my math or give me a way to figure this out please?

You can play a demo of the game here to understand better: http://codepen.io/sotacan/pen/MeKEjY

Click on 1-9 numbers and just hit confirm, then wait for the line to fully appear.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Alanay said:
if I chose just the number 0 do I have a 10% chance to lose?
Yes. In that case there is an even easier calculation: all cells are the same (they are in exactly one row and one column), and 10 cells get destroyed, giving a 10% chance that your chosen cell is among them.

Likes Alanay
mfb said:
Yes. In that case there is an even easier calculation: all cells are the same (they are in exactly one row and one column), and 10 cells get destroyed, giving a 10% chance that your chosen cell is among them.

Thank you, now how would I figure out if they chose say 9 blocks from 0-9 (1-10 shown in the demo)? And they could also do it in a diagonal line, like 1, 10, 12, 21 for example.

In the most general case: There are 20 ways to choose a line, they all have the same probability. Go through all of them, check for collisions.

1. What is the purpose of finding the odds for my game?

The odds for a game represent the likelihood of a particular outcome occurring. This information can be useful for players to strategize and make informed decisions while playing the game.

2. How do I calculate the odds for my game?

The odds for a game can be calculated by dividing the number of desired outcomes by the total number of possible outcomes. This will give the odds in the form of a fraction, decimal, or percentage.

3. Can the odds for my game change?

Yes, the odds for a game can change based on various factors such as the rules of the game, the number of players, and any external influences. It is important to regularly reassess and update the odds for a game to ensure accuracy.

4. What is the difference between odds and probability?

Odds and probability are related but represent different concepts. Odds refer to the likelihood of a particular outcome occurring, while probability represents the chances of that outcome occurring out of all possible outcomes.

5. Are there any ethical considerations when determining the odds for a game?

Yes, it is important to consider the fairness and transparency of the odds for a game. Players should be informed of the odds and have equal opportunities to win. Additionally, if the game involves gambling, it is important to follow all laws and regulations regarding odds and probability.