Negative pressure and dark energy

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of vacuum energy and its properties, such as energy density and pressure, in relation to quantum mechanics and general relativity. It is believed that vacuum energy has a positive pressure, but its gravitational consequences under GR are not fully understood. The Casimir effect, which has been experimentally confirmed, is an example of how vacuum energy can manifest as a force. The conversation also touches on the possibility of a rest frame for dark energy and its stress-energy in Riemann normal coordinates. Overall, there is still much speculation and uncertainty surrounding the properties of vacuum energy.
relativityfan
hi,

which phenoma are known in quantum mechanics to cause a repulsive gravity due to negative pressure? as far as i understand, the vacuum energy of the time energy uncertainty has a very low energy density but it should have a positive pressure because it can only push and not pull. am i right?

i would be grateful if you could reply!

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Vacuum energy is still on suspect list for sources of the cosmolgical constant. Empirical tests of lamba only require a tiny amount of repulsive energy density in the vacuum. Measuring this energy is another matter. Without some sort of renomalization, calculations indicate vacuum energy should be virtually infinite, which is clearly wrong. The proper method for renormalizing the vacuum energy remains unknown, not to mention a method to measure it.

but has this vacuum energy a negative pressure? it seems to me that the pressure of this energy is positive and not negative

Agreed. It is believed to have a positive [anti gravity] pressure. The gravitational consequences under GR are, however, unclear.

very interesting, do you have any reference that demonstrates this? i have never found such information. if we apply GR, then a positive pressure and positive energy density leads to a gravitationnally attractive field, and then this vacuum energy is not compatible with general relativity stating that dark energy has negative pressure, or I am wrong?
I would be grateful to find a reference about this...

relativityfan said:
very interesting, do you have any reference that demonstrates this? i have never found such information. if we apply GR, then a positive pressure and positive energy density leads to a gravitationnally attractive field, and then this vacuum energy is not compatible with general relativity stating that dark energy has negative pressure, or I am wrong?
I would be grateful to find a reference about this...

Actually, all those supposed properties of lambda are purely speculative,so it's not easy to find references in mainstream science about this, no positive pressure has ever been found in vacuum, what has been experimentally confirmed is that vacuum has negative pressure (atractive) as seen in a phenomenon discovered more than 50 years ago and repeated and checked many times since called the Casimir force or effect, and is also known the energy-stress tensor of empty space has negative pressure in its trace.

TrickyDicky said:
and is also known the energy-stress tensor of empty space has negative pressure in its trace.

really? where did you get that information?

The casimir effect can also be repulsive, depending on geometry. It is, however, more important to note it is not entirely clear the casimir effect is due to vacuum energy. Assuming you have done your homework, relativityfan, you already know this. In fact, I find it highly unlikely anyone who tosses out terms like 'time energy uncertainty' does not. This looks like a troll to me. I am not that easily deceived.

Last edited:
Does dark energy have a rest frame? If so, what is it's stress-energy in Riemann normal coordinates?

relativityfan said:
really? where did you get that information?

The vacuum energy tensor is Lorentz invariant, so the sign of its trace components has the same sign that the trace of Minkowski metric tensor.

Chronos said:
The casimir effect can also be repulsive, depending on geometry. It is, however, more important to note it is not entirely clear the casimir effect is due to vacuum energy.
To the relative extent that most things at this level are clear, I think there is agreement that the casimir effect is due to vacuum energy in the form of a differential in quantized field that give rise to a force, depending on the arrangement of the plates that are used in the experiment it can be atractive or repulsive, but it is usually considered the resultant of a negative pressure.

1. What is negative pressure?

Negative pressure is a concept in physics that describes a state of matter or energy that exerts a force pulling inwards, rather than pushing outwards. This is the opposite of what we typically think of as pressure, which is a force pushing outwards.

2. How is negative pressure related to dark energy?

According to the current theories of cosmology, dark energy is a form of negative pressure that is responsible for the accelerating expansion of the universe. This negative pressure is thought to counter the effects of gravity, pushing galaxies and other astronomical objects away from each other at an ever-increasing rate.

3. How does negative pressure differ from positive pressure?

Positive pressure is a force that pushes outwards, like the pressure of a gas inside a balloon. Negative pressure, on the other hand, pulls inwards, like the force of gravity or the tension in a stretched rubber band. While positive pressure tends to cause objects to compress or collapse, negative pressure can cause objects to expand or stretch.

4. What is the origin of dark energy and negative pressure?

The origin of dark energy and negative pressure is still a mystery to scientists. Some theories suggest that it is a fundamental property of space itself, while others propose that it is the result of a yet-unknown form of energy that fills the universe.

5. Can negative pressure be harnessed for practical use?

While negative pressure has been observed and studied in various contexts, it is not currently possible to harness it for practical use. The effects of negative pressure are largely limited to the cosmic scale and are not easily manipulated or controlled on a smaller scale.