1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Negative rod to uncharged metal ball:

1. Jan 26, 2008 #1
    [SOLVED] negative rod to uncharged metal ball:

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    If a negatively charged rod is held near an uncharged metal ball, the metal ball:
    1. becomes positively charged.
    2. becomes polar.
    3. Effect cannot be determined.
    4. becomes negatively charged.
    5. is unaffected.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I guessed number 4, thinking that if the negative rod touched the neutral ball, the ball would gain electrons ( since its easier to gain and lose electrons - very very difficult and rare for an object to lose or gain protons )

This would make the ball negative but I was wrong... whats the catch here?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 26, 2008 #2
    The negative rod does not touch the ball though. What do you know about the electric field inside of a conductor?

4. Jan 26, 2008 #3
    oh my god. i read it as touched.

IT NEVER TOUCHED X_X

5. Jan 26, 2008 #4
    there is no change - no contact was ever made.

6. Jan 26, 2008 #5
    wait, unaffected is the wrong answer x_x now what am i missing?

wow - yikes... is it not determinable?

7. Jan 26, 2008 #6
    The answer is it becomes polarized ; the ball has an effective separation of charge

8. Jan 26, 2008 #7
    Yes you could get the answer by knowing that inside the conductor that the electric field must be zero. So when the negative rod goes towards the conductor, then a bunch of positive charges need to go towards the end the rod approaches, and then negative charges must accumulate on the other side. It polarizes.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?