Nervous System Problems/Diseases and multiple sclerosis

In summary, the conversation is about the nervous system and diseases that attack it, with a specific question regarding multiple sclerosis and the destruction of myelin sheaths. Some examples of nervous system diseases mentioned are Parkinson's, Bell's Palsy, and Trigeminal Neuralgia. It is also noted that some diseases can be caused by metal or metal-metabolism disorders. Multiple sclerosis is an autoimmune disorder where the body's immune system targets important glial cells, such as oligodendrocytes and schwann cells.
Eshi
Hi, my AP bio class is going over the nervous system, and brain structure and eventually will be discussing diseases that attack the nervous system. Does anyone have any good examples I could bring up? I also am looking for an answer as to why in multiple sclerosis the myelin sheaths are destroyed.

Biology news on Phys.org
If I remember correctly, it isn't actually the myelin sheath that is destroyed in multiple sclerosis but instead it is the cells that produce it, the oligodendrocytes and schwann cells.

MS is an autoimmune disorder, meaning it is somehow (probably unknown) is caused by the body's own immune system recognizing these important glial cells as "non-self" and attacking them.

Eshi said:
Hi, my AP bio class is going over the nervous system, and brain structure and eventually will be discussing diseases that attack the nervous system. Does anyone have any good examples I could bring up?
Parkinson's, Bell's Palsy, Trigeminal Neuralgia.

Problems related to metals or metal-metabolism disorders that eventually cause neurological problems:
Wilson's Disease (copper)
Dialysis dementia (aluminum)
Mercury-related dementias

1. What is the nervous system and what are some common problems/diseases associated with it?

The nervous system is a complex network of nerves, cells, and tissues that work together to control various functions in the body. Some common problems and diseases associated with the nervous system include multiple sclerosis, Alzheimer's disease, Parkinson's disease, epilepsy, and stroke.

2. What is multiple sclerosis and what are its symptoms?

Multiple sclerosis (MS) is a chronic autoimmune disease that affects the central nervous system. It occurs when the immune system attacks the protective covering of nerve fibers, causing inflammation and damage. Symptoms of MS may vary but can include muscle weakness, numbness, difficulty walking, vision problems, and fatigue.

3. What are the risk factors for developing multiple sclerosis?

The exact cause of MS is still unknown, but researchers have identified certain risk factors that may increase the likelihood of developing the disease. These include genetics, age, gender (women are more likely to develop MS than men), and certain environmental factors such as smoking and vitamin D deficiency.

4. How is multiple sclerosis diagnosed and treated?

MS is typically diagnosed through a combination of medical history, physical examination, and various tests such as MRI, spinal tap, and blood tests. Treatment for MS focuses on managing symptoms and slowing down the progression of the disease. This may include medications, physical therapy, and lifestyle changes.

5. Can multiple sclerosis be prevented?

Currently, there is no known way to prevent MS. However, maintaining a healthy lifestyle and avoiding known risk factors such as smoking may help lower the risk of developing the disease. Additionally, early diagnosis and treatment can help manage symptoms and improve overall quality of life for those living with MS.