Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Networking/between two computers/sharing

1. Aug 20, 2011 #1
    Not that I didn't try but does anyone have an explanation of how to get a document printed from one machine on the wireless network to the other computer that has the printer wired to it? Or for that matter share any file between the two machines? It's all wireless via router. I looked in the control panel and found a list of connected devices one of which was the computer w/ the document to print but it wouldn't let me access that computer. One machine is Win Vista and the other is Windows 7

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 20, 2011 #2
    There's a couple ways. If you just want to print, install a print server program (for example, http://download.cnet.com/PrinterShare-32-bit/3000-18507_4-75211580.html).

If you want to be able to transfer documents to the other computer, and it's a Windows, you'll have to setup "sharing." That's a pain to walk someone through, and I'm sure there's a billion sites that explain it, so just use Google. :)

The alternative is just to buy a print server (hardware), that lets you network your printer to any computer on your home network.

4. Aug 20, 2011 #3

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You could email the document from one machine to the other. I have a vaguely similar problem and that's what I do.

5. Aug 20, 2011 #4

I like Serena

Homework Helper

Hi Tregg Smith! :smile:

I googled: "how to get a document printed from one machine on the wireless network to the other computer that has the printer wired to it".

This is the third hit, that I think answers your question perfectly (with good pictures):
    http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/9040/how-to-share-files-and-printers-between-windows-7-and-vista/

Of course, like mathman said, emailing works too (I do that when I lack administrative privileges or if it's a one-time only thing).
    Or using an USB stick to transfer the files (I do that at work, where we're not allowed much).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook