Neumann boundary conditions on S^1/Z_2

In summary, the conversation discusses modding out a circle by reflection about the y-axis, resulting in an orbifold. The set of functions on this orbifold must have Neumann boundary conditions at the singularities. The question is why Neumann conditions are necessary and if Dirichlet conditions are possible in this case. The discussion also brings up the use of two coordinate patches to account for the singularities at each end of the line interval.
AntideSitter
Hello everybody,

I've been puzzling over something (quite simple I assume).

Take S^1. Now consider the action of a Z_2 which takes x to -x, where x is a natural coordinate on the cylinder ( -1< x <1). Now we mod out by this action. The new space is an orbifold: smooth except at x=0. It is diffeomorphic to the line internal. We can take 0< x <1 as a coordinate on S^1/Z_2.

Take the set of functions on S^1, call it F_s. To find the set of functions on S^1/Z_2, we should restrict F_s to the the functions which are invariant under the Z_2 action. I.e. they should be symmetric under the reflection. These functions all have f '(0)=f '(1) = 0. These are Neumann boundary conditions on the boundary of S^1/Z_2.

Firstly, correct any errors I have made here. My question is: why must there be Neumann boundary conditions on functions on the line interval? Is this a generic property of manifolds with boundaries? Why are Dirichlet conditions not possible here? Is the singularity important in this example?

Comments welcome. Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Just to correct myself: there are two singularities on S_1/Z_2 , at x=0,1. Strictly speaking we should use two coordinate patches. So there are singularities at each end of the line interval, just where my boundary conditions are.

I am not sure what you are doing. Are you modding the unit disc out by reflection along the x axis?

I'm modding out the circle (e.g. x^2 + y^2 =1) by reflection about the y-axis.

I would like to clarify a few things about the concept of Neumann boundary conditions and their application in this specific example. Neumann boundary conditions are a type of boundary condition that specifies the derivative of a function at the boundary of a domain. In this case, the domain is S^1/Z_2, which is an orbifold obtained by taking the action of Z_2 on S^1 and modding it out.

In this example, the Z_2 action has created a singularity at x=0, which is why the functions on S^1/Z_2 must satisfy Neumann boundary conditions at this point. This is because the derivative of the function must be continuous at the singularity, which in this case means f '(0)=f '(1) = 0.

It is important to note that Neumann boundary conditions are not always required on manifolds with boundaries. In fact, on a smooth manifold with a boundary, the type of boundary condition will depend on the specific problem being studied. In some cases, Dirichlet boundary conditions (where the function itself must be continuous at the boundary) may be more appropriate.

In summary, the presence of Neumann boundary conditions on functions on S^1/Z_2 is a result of the specific Z_2 action and the resulting singularity at x=0. It is not a generic property of all manifolds with boundaries, and the type of boundary condition required will depend on the problem at hand. I hope this helps clarify any confusion. Thank you for your question!

What are Neumann boundary conditions on S^1/Z_2?

Neumann boundary conditions on S^1/Z_2 refer to a type of boundary condition used in mathematical models to describe the behavior of waves or fields on a one-dimensional circle that has been divided into two equal parts. These conditions specify that the derivative of the wave or field function is continuous across the boundary between the two parts of the circle.

Why are Neumann boundary conditions important?

Neumann boundary conditions are important in mathematical modeling because they allow us to describe the behavior of waves or fields on a closed surface, such as a circle, without having to assume that the function itself is continuous across the boundary. This makes it easier to solve equations and analyze the behavior of waves and fields on complex surfaces or boundaries.

How are Neumann boundary conditions different from other types of boundary conditions?

Neumann boundary conditions differ from other types of boundary conditions, such as Dirichlet or periodic boundary conditions, in that they specify the behavior of the derivative of the function across the boundary, rather than the function itself. This means that the function can have discontinuities at the boundary, as long as its derivative remains continuous.

In what areas of science are Neumann boundary conditions commonly used?

Neumann boundary conditions are commonly used in various areas of science, such as physics, engineering, and mathematics, to model the behavior of waves or fields on closed surfaces. They are especially useful in the study of electromagnetism, acoustics, and quantum mechanics.

What are some real-world applications of Neumann boundary conditions?

Some real-world applications of Neumann boundary conditions include the modeling of sound waves in musical instruments, the behavior of electromagnetic fields in electronic devices, and the behavior of quantum particles in nanoscale structures. They are also used in the study of fluid dynamics, heat transfer, and many other areas of science and engineering.