Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Neutral pseudo meson decay into neutrino antineutrino

Tags:
  1. Mar 15, 2013 #1
    what are standards model limits on decay of K0, Do, B0 meson into a pair of neutrino and anti neutrino. I know that these highly suppressed due to involve FCNC. but if someone can tell me about theoretical limits on these reactions.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 15, 2013 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

I'm not sure if there are any calculations of that process - I would expect a branching fraction similar to the decay in two muons or less*, but experimentally it is probably the worst thing you can study.*
    ##B^0 \to \nu \nu## has an experimental upper limit of 2.2*10-4 from BaBar.

*there, the experimental limits are still above theory, with the Bs measurement from LHCb and KL as exceptions

4. Mar 15, 2013 #3

Hepth

Gold Member

Should be helicity suppressed as well, correct?

Any Pseudoscalar (spin 0) going to two spin 1/2 particles requires a spin-flip on one of the outgoing fermions to conserve angular momentum. This spin flip introduces a proportionality to the mass of the outgoing fermion, in this case a neutrino, which is very very small in relationship to the decaying particle, thus highly suppressed.

A naive estimate, I would take the predicted rate for {K,D,B}_0 -> e+e-, and multiply it by the mass of the neutrino over the mass of the electron squared.

So

[tex]
    \frac{m_{\nu_e}^2}{m_{e}^2} = \left(\frac{2.2\,eV}{511\,keV}\right)^2 = 2 \times 10^{-11}
    [/tex]

so much smaller than the already-small branching ratios.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook