Neutrino and Black Hole Interaction: Approaching, Passing, or Colliding?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 2K views
conner.ubert
Messages
15
Reaction score
0
How would a neutrino act in regards to a black hole? As in approaching, passing by or "colliding" with a black hole?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Essentially the same as a light beam, since neutrinos travel at essentially the speed of light. If you fire one at the black hole it will fall in. If you fire it past the black hole its path will be bent, just like that of a beam of light. If you are far away from a black hole and look at neutrinos emitted from near the black hole they will be "red-shifted" (i.e., have lower energy than they had when they were emitted), just as light is red-shifted in traveling away from a large mass.
 
I can now see how a neutrino would interact act with a black hole due to the massiveness of a neutrino so it would act as any other particle would; however how does its properties give it the same interactive characteristics as a photon? But being the fact that neutrinos are extremely weakly interacting particles and photons are very interactive particles does that mean they have the same reaction to Doppler Shift and gravitational attraction? A neutrino has mass, a photon doesn't. A photon interacts strongly with everyday materials, a neutrino doesn't. A photon interacts with a electric field, but a neutrino doesn't because it has no charge. So there is no obvious reason as to why a neutrino should react the same as a photon.
 
Are you asking a question or are you answering it?
 
I asked a question, it was answered and it brought up another question. I am confused with the answer The Duck gave, as to the validity of the answer. Since the only thing that neutrinos have roughly in common with photons, besides being an elementary particle, is the speed at which they both travel. As I stated previously, they are two very different particles. So why wouldn't a neutrino act otherwise.
 
conner.ubert said:
I asked a question, it was answered and it brought up another question. I am confused with the answer The Duck gave, as to the validity of the answer. Since the only thing that neutrinos have roughly in common with photons, besides being an elementary particle, is the speed at which they both travel. As I stated previously, they are two very different particles. So why wouldn't a neutrino act otherwise.

Because while neutrinos interact very weakly with matter, they are still subject to gravity, just as photons are.