1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Neutrino-neutrino to WW amplitude via Z-exchange

1. Nov 10, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I am working through an example in Chapter 6 of Quigg's Gauge Theories. I have it mostly figured out, with the exception of how to work out the [itex]S^{\mu}S^{\nu}[/itex] term. All he writes is "...the term is impotent between massless spinors."

2. Relevant equations
    I begin with:

nunu_WW_amplitude.png

What I want to know is how to obtain the factors that include [itex]S[/itex]:

result.png

3. The attempt at a solution
    I have all of the terms except those which include [itex]S[/itex]. An explicit calculation or explanation would be extremely appreciated!

[Edit] I will show my work to point out where I am stuck.

I worked out the term involving [itex]g^{\mu\nu}[/itex]. After the contraction of [itex]\gamma_\nu g^{\mu\nu}[/itex], the polarization vectors contract with the terms in square brackets to give:

[itex]\epsilon_+^{*\alpha}\epsilon_-^{*\beta}[...] = \epsilon_+^{*} \cdot \epsilon_-^{*} (k_- - k_+)_{\nu} + \epsilon_-^{*} \cdot k_+ \epsilon_{+\nu}^* - \epsilon_+^* \cdot k_- \epsilon_{-\nu}^* [/itex] [1]

My understanding is that the [itex]S^{\mu}S^{\nu}[/itex] will act on [1] above, but I do not see how to get the desired result. I thought that the contravariant [itex]S^{\nu}[/itex] term would contract with the covariants, but instead somehow the [itex]k_+[/itex] and [itex]k_-[/itex] in the second and third terms of [1] above are replaced by [itex]S[/itex]. Either this is something I do not quite get, or I am being foolish.

blankvin

Last edited: Nov 10, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 10, 2015 #2
    Are you just looking for the amplitude?

4. Nov 10, 2015 #3
    I know what the amplitude is. It is how to deal with the [itex]S^{\mu}S^{\nu}[/itex] that I do not know.

blankvin

5. Nov 10, 2015 #4
    Yeah sorry, the first time I saw your post I was on mobile. I will check back on it when I have time if you haven't received a response yet.

6. Nov 11, 2015 #5
    I figured it out.

Working out the [itex]S^{\mu}S^{\nu}[/itex] terms lead to zero contribution to the amplitude.

This blunder will be blamed on fatigue.

blankvin

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted