Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Neutrino Oscillations and Mass

1. Mar 21, 2017 #1
    Hello

Just wondering, would neutrino oscillations occur is the three standard model neutrinos were the same mass?

or are different masses needed in order to have different phases differences, as the phases differences are why the oscillations occur?

Also why do neutrino oscillations prove that neutrinos are not massless. Is it because the weak eigenstates are a linear superposition of mass eigenstates?

Thank you

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 21, 2017 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

If all three mass eigenstates have the same mass, there are no oscillations. The oscillation parameters depend on the differences between the squared masses. You have to have non-zero differences for oscillations.

One mass eigenstate could be massless, but that would be odd - it is expected that all three mass eigenstates have a non-zero mass, but currently we are sure only for two of them.

4. Mar 21, 2017 #3

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Can it? I think the standard derivation assumes that all three mass eigenstates have rest frames. There may be some other way to approach it without this assumption.

5. Mar 21, 2017 #4

mfb

2016 Award

As far as I know it is no problem to have one mass at exactly zero instead of a very small mass. @Orodruin knows it for sure.

6. Mar 21, 2017 #5

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It is perfectly fine to have one massless neutrino. It occurs in some (admittedly odd) models, eg, type I seesaw with only two righthanded neutrinos.

7. Apr 15, 2017 #6

Drakkith

A number of problematic and/or off topic posts and responses have been deleted. Thread re-opened.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted