Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Neutron scattering as a function of angle

1. May 27, 2014 #1
    Hi thanks for reading. Is it possible to derive an explicit formula for the neutron scattering cross section as a function of energy and angle of incident and scattered neutrons respectively? This is for a (n,p) elastic collision with H-1 as the target.

Last edited: May 27, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. May 27, 2014 #2

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I believe (I worked with this many years ago) that the derivation can be done by transforming to the center of mass coordinates and assuming isotropic scattering there.

This assumes the scattering is elastic. Collisions could end up as H2 nuclei.

Last edited: May 27, 2014
  4. May 27, 2014 #3
    Thanks for replying! I have tried this using conservation of energy. However, I cannot find a relation for cross section as a function of energy and angle; only scattering energy as a function of angle. Do you have any hints? I have been looking at <http://mightylib.mit.edu/Course%20Materials/22.101/Fall%202004/Notes/Part3.pdf> [Broken] for answers but I'm just not sure if it is the correct way to go about it.
    Thanks

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  5. May 28, 2014 #4

Meir Achuz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

There is no explicit formula. Hundreds of papers have been written on n-p scattering.

6. May 28, 2014 #5

Meir Achuz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

7. May 28, 2014 #6

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

For elastic scattering, the energy of the neutron is implicit in transforming to the center of mass. However nuclear reactions other than elastic scattering will be involved. The reference of Achuz is a good place to start.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook