Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Neutronium article @ Wikipedia in need of experts and knowledgeables

1. Dec 5, 2005 #1

Mk

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 5, 2005 #2

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

I'm not sure what you mean...

4. Dec 5, 2005 #3

Labguy

Science Advisor

Neutronium isn't HERE.

5. Dec 7, 2005 #4

Mk

Some of the things they are arguing about are:
    What chemical symbol does neutronium have on the periodic table?
    How many electrons are in its valance shell?
    Where is its position on the periodic table?
    Should we use the "Chemical Galaxy" periodic table? (have you heard of this?)
    Should we call it "nilnilnilnilium?"

People are citing sources like "Slate" (http://slate.com) and people's personal Yahoo and MSN websites.

6. Dec 8, 2005 #5

Chronos

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2015 Award

'Neutronium' is a hypothetical state of matter that can only exist [by any known physics] under the influence of extreme gravity - like in a neutron star. It is not an element, it has no electrons [they are crushed out of existence], it's just a messy smear of elementary particles [mostly neutrons] that are forced to coexist in unnaturally cramped quarters.

7. Dec 8, 2005 #6

Labguy

Science Advisor

Actually, if you think about it, they (electrons) are chrushed into its existence....:confused:

But, yes, I agree with your whole comment. The periodic table was "designed" to show the elements and to show electron configurations to help understand how the elements can combine, usually at the outer (lowest energy state) shell, with other elements to form the various compounds.

As an example, someone should go find a graphic showing a water molecule; it isn't just one H2O, it is several sharing electron shells with an actual volumn of "empty" in the center. This is why you can mix one exact liter of water with one exact liter of (pure) alcohol and the final measurement will always be less than two liters. The alcohol molecules actually fit inside the water molecules...:eek:

If all states of matter were to have a place on the periodic table, including hypothetical Neutronium as element "zero", then where would Quarks go?? As elements +1/3, +2/3, -1/3 and -2/3 ?? Probably not.

EDIT: No, I didn't forget fission, where heavy elements uncombine to form lighter elements, such as vaporized Japanese buildings.
    OOPS! Was I wrong on the shell energy state?......:confused:

Last edited: Dec 8, 2005
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?