Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Never liked working with other people

1. Mar 10, 2009 #1
    Ok I have been wondering about this. Since I was a little kid I have never liked working with other people. This continues up till today, the college days. Whenever I am working out a problem I don't like to be around other people, I always cover up my answers or my work--I just can't explain it.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 10, 2009 #2
    Re: Disorder?

Sounds completely normal to me.

It's a shame that our society is so crooked that someone who prefers to work on their own should begin to feel like they have a mental issue.

Covering up your answers and work is a good practice. You're protecting yourself from people who wish to undermine the educational system and attain the same level of success as you, not by working as hard, but by leeching off of your talent.

Don't worry. One day, you'll come across some people that you can identify as hard-working and intelligent, and you won't mind being around them because there will be no questions about their integrity. Unfortunately, these people are few and far between nowadays.

4. Mar 10, 2009 #3

I don't think it is that normal. Normal people just scribble things down incomprehensible to others...

5. Mar 10, 2009 #4

I'm going to guess that you don't experience other people as "helping" but as "interfering". Does that sound right?

6. Mar 10, 2009 #5

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I used to write down wrong solutions and let everybody see them. :devil:

7. Mar 10, 2009 #6

Some people experience social anxiety disorder or similar phobias - please see http://www.adaa.org/GettingHelp/AnxietyDisorders/SocialPhobia.asp [Broken].

If you feel that your fear of others is interfering with your quality of life, you may want to see a counselor found through your insurance company, or if indigent and in the U.S., through your community mental health center.

Someone very close to me has SAD. Phobias may be the most common classification of mental illness - and no fault.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  8. Mar 10, 2009 #7

But, if you feel that your fear of others is based on them interfering with your quality of life, then carry on.

9. Mar 11, 2009 #8

I used to write down what I thought were right solutions and let everybody see them and we all got them wrong:wink:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook