New Book: Models of Atomic Nucleus (2006)

In summary, A new book has been published reviewing historical models of the atomic nucleus, including the 1965 Linus Pauling Close-Packed Spheron Model which has received little attention despite being published in leading science journals. The book, authored by Dr. Cook, also includes a slide show on his "Face-Centered-Cubic Lattice Model" with an impressive explanation of asymetric fission. The book is available on Amazon and the author plans to order a copy to further explore the principles of the model in relation to the masses of hadrons. The author also suggests that the importance of geometry and visualization in understanding wave functions has been overlooked in quantum mechanics.
Rade
I recently purchased a new book that reviews most historical models of the atomic nucleus:
http://www.brownstationers.com/BookItem.aspx?item=9783540285694

This is the only book on this subject in the past 40+ years that gives positive review (well--any review actually) for the 1965 Linus Pauling Close-Packed Spheron Model of the atomic nucleus. The author indicates that the Pauling model has never been experimentally falsified--it has been ignored. What a shame. Here we have a model published in the two leading journals of science (Science, Nature) and it receives no attention. I have posted on the Pauling model on another thread:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=86337&highlight=pauling+spheron+model

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Here is a very nice slide show by Dr. Cook on his "Face-Centered-Cubic Lattice Model" of the atomic nucleus--a major theme of his book cited above:
http://k9.physics.indiana.edu/~eric/QNP/QNP/QNP_2004_talks/session1_Monday/N_Cook.ppt#1

The slide show was very impressive, particularly the explanation of asymetric fission. The book is published by Springer and is available on Amazon here:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/3540285695/?tag=pfamazon01-20

When I've got a little more money in my paypal account I'll order a copy. My interest is in the masses of the hadrons, rather than nuclei, but I think the same principles should apply.

I think that one of the problems of QM in general has been a tendency to ignore the importance of geometry and visualization in understanding what can be described by wave functions.

1. What is the main focus of "New Book: Models of Atomic Nucleus (2006)"?

The main focus of this book is to provide an in-depth analysis and comparison of various theoretical models used to describe the structure and properties of atomic nuclei.

2. Who is the author of "New Book: Models of Atomic Nucleus (2006)"?

The author of this book is Peter Ring, a renowned physicist and professor at the Technical University of Munich.

3. What makes this book a valuable resource for scientists and researchers?

This book offers a comprehensive and up-to-date overview of the different models used to understand the atomic nucleus, making it a valuable resource for scientists and researchers in the field of nuclear physics.

4. Is "New Book: Models of Atomic Nucleus (2006)" suitable for beginners in the field of nuclear physics?

No, this book is intended for readers with a solid understanding of nuclear physics and its mathematical foundations. It is more suitable for advanced students and researchers in the field.

5. Are there any notable advancements or updates in this edition of "New Book: Models of Atomic Nucleus" compared to previous editions?

Yes, this 2006 edition includes new developments in the field of nuclear physics, such as the implementation of new models and the incorporation of new experimental data, making it a highly informative and relevant resource for readers.