Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

New Horizons Sees First Features on Pluto

1. May 1, 2015 #1

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

2. jcsd
  3. May 1, 2015 #2

wabbit

Gold Member

Wow. Not much detail here yet but aren't we seeing the tidal lock of Pluto in action in this movie ? The more I look at it the more obvious it seems.

4. May 1, 2015 #3

Drakkith

It does sorta look like it. I hadn't noticed before.

5. May 1, 2015 #4

wabbit

Gold Member

Actually, great as these images are, their title seems overstated, Hubble showed surface features before. I guess they mean "first time for New Horizon".

6. May 1, 2015 #5

Drakkith

I believe that is the intended message. :wink:

Interestingly, New Horizons' images are now more detailed than the HST's.

7. May 1, 2015 #6

wabbit

Gold Member

Hmm not quite yet from what I see, I don't think they beat that yet though it's only a matter of time :

421589main_p1006aw-540.jpg

8. May 1, 2015 #7

mfb

2016 Award

The rotation axis is a bit tilted against the view (see the changing apparent distance between Pluto and Charon), so we still see something new.
    Not much to see. One area looks darker, in agreement with the reconstruction from Hubble images. Anyway, we'll see more in two months.

9. May 1, 2015 #8

wabbit

Gold Member

Oh two months ? I was kinda hoping for something earlier.. but I suppose you can't force celestial mechanics to play by the rules of live TV shows : )

Yes I noticed the elliptical apparent orbit, was trying to eyeball the focii but to no avail I'm afraid. I convinced myself it was centered but this may as well be self delusion. It does look so though with a major axis about 25 % longer than minor ?

Last edited: May 1, 2015
  10. May 1, 2015 #9

Drakkith

The article is the one claiming that the resolution is higher. Plus I think your image is derived from a number of much lower quality images. I know for a fact that the HST can't see Pluto anywhere close to the resolution shown in the image.

11. May 1, 2015 #10

wabbit

Gold Member

Right they must mean better optical resolution.
    Found something that looks like a single image from HST, perhaps not the best one but it isn't close
    PIA00827_modest.jpg

12. May 1, 2015 #11

mfb

2016 Award

The Hubble "image" is a computer-generated model to fit several images, right.

Well, Pluto diameter in pixels is roughly inversely proportional to the time to fly-by, which is ~2.5 months away. In 1 month we get images with roughly twice the resolution. That will look something like the model from Hubble but for every image, which allows to make better composite images.

13. May 1, 2015 #12

Drakkith

14. May 1, 2015 #13

wabbit

Gold Member

In the meantime they might also work the same magic as HST to do a nice composite - not much point maybe but it would be fun : )

15. May 1, 2015 #14

wabbit

Gold Member

Great, thanks !

Edit. Impressive processing, the single images look more or less similar the the NH pictures.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook