New Hubble Constant: Universe 180 Billion Light-Years Wide in 15.8B Years

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
tuna_wasabi
Messages
29
Reaction score
0
Just got through reading http://www.space.com/scienceastronomy/060807_mm_huble_revise.html" about findings that suggest the Hubble constant is about 15% smaller than previously believed. From the article:

The new finding implies that the universe is. . . about 15.8 billion years old and about 180 billion light-years wide.

My question is this: How does the universe get 180 billion light years wide in only 16 billion years without having matter travel faster than light? I'm sure there's a sensical explanation, I just have no idea what it is.

P.S. Sorry if I'm posting in the wrong forum. Wasn't sure if I should post here or in the Other Sciences (i.e. astronomy) forum.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org