Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

New mammal discovered

1. Dec 5, 2005 #1
    A new mammal has been discorved in Indonesia.There's only 2 images taken by the team that discoverd it.But it's still intresting.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/4501152.stm

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 6, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 5, 2005 #2

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Wow! That's exciting! I wish they had a larger image though...it's kind of hard to see the critter in the tiny image in the story.

4. Dec 6, 2005 #3

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Aha! I finally figured out how to fix the title. Scott, I hope you don't mind that I took the liberty to fix the spelling in your title to make it clearer what the topic is. This is too interesting to let slip away unnoticed due to a spelling mistake. :smile:

5. Dec 8, 2005 #4

SGT

6. Dec 13, 2005 #5
    Thanks. :smile:

7. Dec 14, 2005 #6

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It does look quite similar, except for the coloration. Perhaps they haven't identified a new species, but just a member of that species that has an uncommon coat color.

8. Dec 15, 2005 #7

DocToxyn

Science Advisor

Like they mention in the article, the "new" animal is probably a member of the same family as the binturong, but without the very obvious ear tufts and general shagginess that is characteristic of the binturong, I doubt it is simply a case of a new color morph. The binturongs I have seen appear much larger than their weight suggests (indeed most links I found put them closer to 30 pounds, much heavier than the provided link states and definately larger than the typical domestic cat) due to all the hair they have, while the new animal appears rather sleek and gracile.
    http://www.sandiegozoo.org/kids/images/animal_bint_tree.jpg

9. Dec 15, 2005 #8
    Hope they succeed in capturing it. I'm really interested in what kind of behaviors it has.

10. Dec 17, 2009 #9
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?