1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

New method finding moment of inertia of a soild sphere

1. Jun 11, 2006 #1
    Q. Show the moment of inertia of sphere is 2/5mR^2
    using many different methods.

My professor said he knew 18 different method.
    Do you have a new idea?
    Tell me anything you know. I hope one of your methods will be the 19th method.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 11, 2006 #2
    The inertia for a point mass is [tex]I = mr^{2}[/tex]. If you have a sphere you can treat it as a large number of point masses and add them together as in [tex]I = \sum m_{i}r_{i}^{2}[/tex]. It is probably better to solve this using calculus though. For rotational inertia the equation [tex]I = \sum m_{i}r_{i}^{2}[/tex] is an approximation of [tex] I = \int r^{2} dm [/tex].

Rotational inertia is also related to kinetic energy. Kinetic energy can be expresses as [tex]K = \frac{1}{2} I \omega^{2}[/tex] where [tex]\omega[/tex] is the angular speed.

I've never heard anyone say that there 18 ways to solve this problem, but I suppose it might depend on what other information you might be given.

hope that helps

Last edited: Jun 11, 2006
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?